Request resources

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:The problem we are having are too many cooks in the kitchen causing problems for the wards.
Sounds more like a lack of policies. (Or lack of a master chef if you want to stick with that analogy.)
TinMan wrote:We went to schedule our ward Christmas party last month.
I hope this is for 2013. If it's for 2012, you're pretty late in the game. If for 2013, then it's time to call the "building scheduler" to deal with these conflicts. That's their new role. They can move and even cancel any event that takes place at their location.

And even then, at some point they're going to say "you should have planned this sooner". With 10 wards in a stake - that's going to be like growing up in a house with 9 brothers. Either you learn to eat fast or you starve. ;)

Private parties would have to wait until all the wards had a chance to schedule their activities for the year.

TinMan wrote:Imagine our surprise when every Saturday in December was scheduled with "private parties."
In our stake, church activities have priority. Baptisms always have priority. But then, we also run all private parties though the stake scheduler, so that helps.

TinMan wrote:All of them scheduled by people who have regular access to schedule events.
Default admins or others? If it's others, then I wonder what calendar they are putting it on?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

As I said. In our stake, we have at least 100 default calendar editors (Ten wards times 10 in each ward not including the stake ones.) How often to you send out the policy to all of them to keep them up to date?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:As I said. In our stake, we have at least 100 default calendar editors (Ten wards times 10 in each ward not including the stake ones.) How often to you send out the policy to all of them to keep them up to date?
Each ward in our stake has a designated "Calendar Coordinator". They have the responsibility to train all editors in the ward. So I only have to train those ward coordinators as they change (which is rare). So my burden as the stake calendar coordinator is quite light in this regard.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

That's nice. Our Stake Clerk is still trying to figure out how to run the calendar himself.

And I am glad that all your ward coordinators understand the calendar fully and train all of the editors.

You are very blessed. Some of us are not so lucky.

:)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:And I am glad that all your ward pcoordinators understand the calendar fully and train all of the editors.
Actually, I never said that they train all the editors. I just said that they have the responsibility to do so. :) But if something goes wrong with something scheduled in their ward, they get to clean up the mess.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

My bad. Sorry.
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote:Each ward in our stake has a designated "Calendar Coordinator".
aebrown, I think you're on to something. We can't have a building scheduler as has occurred in the past, unless something is changed that allows that person to actually schedule something. Instead, each ward needs to have a calendar coordinator. That person has the rights to schedule for his or her ward.

I think the so-called "building scheduler" would handle things like the Boy Scout council having a meeting in the building, and it might be entered as a reservation, since it's not an event pertaining to any unit of the stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I think the so-called "building scheduler" would handle things like the Boy Scout council having a meeting in the building, and it might be entered as a reservation, since it's not an event pertaining to any unit of the stake.

The preferred way to do that is to create a calendar, possibly private so that the membership doesn't see it, and then place the event on that. Using the calendar reservation function to book a room is not a good method. It can easily lead to double-booking.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

I guess it is a philosophical difference. We have a "non ward activities" calendar that is not private. We book such events on that calendar and members can see it so if they want to say get a group and come over for a pick up game in the gym they could see if it is available without booking an event.
failproof

Post by failproof »

You can still see events scheduled on private calendars, you just can't see the details of the event. If you go to the weekly view where you can see what is scheduled for a given building, you will see all events and reservations on that building. Private calendar events say "Private event" for those who do not have view access to that calendar. By making it a private calendar, you can keep ward members from subscribing to it and getting an update every time the "Jones" family schedules the building for a family party, etc.

Return to “Calendar”