mls 3.5

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

2pm, Mtn time, Tryed to update. Nothing happened except normal "send/recieve". Guess I'll try tomarrow morning.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:2pm, Mtn time, Tryed to update. Nothing happened except normal "send/recieve". Guess I'll try tomarrow morning.
Just because there were indications several days ago that the plan at that point was to release MLS 3.5 on October 12th, that doesn't mean that it is safe to assume that it will definitely be released today. We haven't heard any confirmation that it will indeed be released today.

I have heard that the release is being delayed another week. I don't want to reveal my source, and I certainly would not advise anyone to make all their upgrade plans based on my report, but I also don't think anyone should make their upgrade plans on an assumption that it will definitely happen this weekend, either.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

It would be nice to know when its going to happen for sure so that the necessary steps can be taken well before someone who does not know whats happening logs on to MLS and gets all confused when they can't access what there trying to do.

Remember, MLS ask you to do a send/receive when you first log in now.
dfchamplain

Post by dfchamplain »

Not only that, but anyone with rights to MLs can perform a send / receive option. This means that anyone maybe surprised the next time they do work on the computer.

It would be beneficial if these notices on when upgrades will occur could be set to a certain time instead of "in a few weeks" or when "it happens".
giffordrb

Post by giffordrb »

Just an update: MLS 3.5 is being released to about 5,000 units starting this evening. It will be released worldwide next week unless something major comes up this weekend. I will try and post updates here. The 5,000 units getting 3.5 this weekend are all units in the Brazil, Pacific, and Salt Lake City UT areas.
Ryan Gifford
MLS
drewy

Post by drewy »

A send/recieve just installed 3.5 here...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:It would be nice to know when its going to happen for sure so that the necessary steps can be taken well before someone who does not know whats happening logs on to MLS and gets all confused when they can't access what there trying to do.

Why wait?

Since we already know it is going to happen, and we already know what we should do to prepare, we have advised our clerks to prepare, and not to wait until the last minute.

It turns out it was good advice. Those who prepared are fine. Those who are just now getting around to it have just discovered that their lamps have no oil and they needed it this week.

Most of our machines locked late this week and have started the transition. Just as in the painting of the ten virgins (one of my favorites for a whole number of different reasons), those who were prepared knew to continue with a few extra Send/Receives. Those who were not prepared have been calling asking what to do.
TexAg03

Callings problem

Post by TexAg03 »

I just downloaded 3.5 here in Australia and have found what I believe are two problems. First, on the "Members with Callings" page it had several leadership callings listed twice, EQ, RS, HP, YM, YW and Primary all had double postings. When I removed the duplicate and left the page it deleted both and now have to restore those callings.
Second, when I was restoring the Elders Quorum Second Counselor I was searching in the list and it brought up anyone in the ward. I chose the wife of the brother to see if it would take it and it did. The old system wouldn't allow me to select anyone not qualified, (read proper age, gender, priesthood, etc). Anyone else find this or is it not going to be a functionality of 3.5?
rick.winterton

Post by rick.winterton »

Midland Michigan - Saturday October 13, 2012, 8:00 am EST. I just tried updating several computers using Send/Receive Changes. None of them updated to MLS 3.5. Some units, it appears, are not going to receive the update as soon as others.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:Why wait?

Since we already know it is going to happen, and we already know what we should do to prepare, we have advised our clerks to prepare, and not to wait until the last minute.
If you have been following this thread you would know that I'm prepared. In fact I went in on Wednesday and reprinted the reports again so I would have the most current information.

My concern though is someone such as a Bishopric Member, or organization leader going in to do something. Turning on the computer and the down load starting so they can't do anything, possibly panicking and shutting down the whole system thus stopping the down load which could possibly case more problems. I don't need any surprises when it comes time to process donations on Sunday.

If I know when the push is to happen in my area I can go in early and do it before anyone else gets a chance to log on the computer.

Ryan said he would try and post updates so we would know, and that is good enough for me.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”