Installing MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#11

Post by WelchTC »

AdrianLP wrote:Can Afaria be run under Wine? For that matter, maybe thre is a port of it.
The biggest problem may be that Afaria also helps manage the dial up connection. Most units still use modems to transmit data and most modems are soft modems which may be a problem within Linux because most soft modems use proprietary software to make them work. While at Linspire, we made great strides with the different modem companies to get their software working on Linux but we were far from 100%.

Tom
User avatar
AdrianLP-p40
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

#12

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

tomw wrote:The biggest problem may be that Afaria also helps manage the dial up connection. Most units still use modems to transmit data and most modems are soft modems which may be a problem within Linux because most soft modems use proprietary software to make them work. While at Linspire, we made great strides with the different modem companies to get their software working on Linux but we were far from 100%.
Ya. Again though, the thread author just wants too "sit in front of MLS and play with the menus". He doesn't need to Send/Receive anything. I'm not sure why we're on this Send/Receive train of thought :)
The_Earl
Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:12 am

Sticky / FAQ?

#13

Post by The_Earl »

tomw wrote:The biggest problem may be that Afaria also helps manage the dial up connection. Most units still use modems to transmit data and most modems are soft modems which may be a problem within Linux because most soft modems use proprietary software to make them work. While at Linspire, we made great strides with the different modem companies to get their software working on Linux but we were far from 100%.

Tom
Can we get some of this posted to a Sticky or FAQ type post? It seems we hash this about once a quarter or so. There is a FAQ link at the top, but those are all vBulletin topics. There are a few other topics that should be stuck in an FAQ type document too. Some of the current discussions at the STS / Clerk level come to mind.

Thanks
The Earl
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#14

Post by WelchTC »

The Earl wrote:Can we get some of this posted to a Sticky or FAQ type post? It seems we hash this about once a quarter or so. There is a FAQ link at the top, but those are all vBulletin topics. There are a few other topics that should be stuck in an FAQ type document too. Some of the current discussions at the STS / Clerk level come to mind.

Thanks
The Earl
Good idea. Recommendations on how to "gather the list" of posts?

Tom
mcody-p40
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but...

#15

Post by mcody-p40 »

BarryHill wrote:As a new Ward Clerk I would find it helpful to install the latest full-release virsion of MLS on my personal PC. I of course do not want to install real data but I would add some test data or wonder if there is a sample database included (it seems I ran across indications there is).

It would help me greatly to actually sit in front of MLS and play with the menus. Between the flurry of Financial transactions on Sunday, attending PEC and Bishopric Meetings, and living 10 miles from the chapel, my screen time is very limited and usually task driven.

Is there a way to load the latest MLS on a personal PC, and does Church policy allow this? I tried a "search" but found no posts dealing with this question.

Thanks
According to Policy and Guidelines For Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping (published March, 2005):
The assistant stake clerk assigned to manage Church computers has the following responsibilities. He: ...

11. Ensures that ward clerks do not install Church record-keeping software on their
home computers and that they do not reverse-engineer record-keeping software
code.
I understand your aggravation with the situation. Perhaps you could talk with your Stake Technology Specialist about setting up a time during the week to meet with you for some one-on-one training. I know that this does not solve the distance issue for you.

Another thought is that the Stake Technology Specialist might be able to install the MLS software, with the dummy ward unit, on a computer for you to use at home. I was recently called as the Stake Technology Specialist for my stake and I am investigating the policy in this regard. The policy does not state that the Stake Technology Specialist cannot install the MLS software on a personal PC; only that ward clerks cannot do it.

Mac
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15127
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

MLS on home computers

#16

Post by aebrown »

mcody wrote:According to Policy and Guidelines For Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping (published March, 2005):[INDENT]The assistant stake clerk assigned to manage Church computers has the following responsibilities. He: ... Ensures that ward clerks do not install Church record-keeping software on their home computers and that they do not reverse-engineer record-keeping software code. [/INDENT]I understand your aggravation with the situation. Perhaps you could talk with your Stake Technology Specialist about setting up a time during the week to meet with you for some one-on-one training. I know that this does not solve the distance issue for you.

Another thought is that the Stake Technology Specialist might be able to install the MLS software, with the dummy ward unit, on a computer for you to use at home. I was recently called as the Stake Technology Specialist for my stake and I am investigating the policy in this regard. The policy does not state that the Stake Technology Specialist cannot install the MLS software on a personal PC; only that ward clerks cannot do it.

Perhaps I'm rationalizing (but I don't think so) when I interpret the prohibition on installing Church record-keeping software on home computers differently than you do. If I install MLS with only dummy data at home, it is not record-keeping software. It is only when it actually keeps real records that it fits that definition.

I also think it makes little sense to prohibit ward clerks from installing MLS with dummy data on home computers. That prohibition only makes sense if we are talking about live data. Why on earth would other people be able to install MLS on home computers but only ward clerks can't?

I have MLS installed on my personal laptop (with dummy data, of course) that I use extensively in training and supporting other clerks, and I see absolutely no problem with that. Any clerk who wants to use their own computer and their own time to further their understanding of MLS by using the dummy data is completely welcome to to do so, in my opinion.
User avatar
opee
Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:00 am
Location: Morgan Hill, CA

#17

Post by opee »

My understanding from previous threads is that the part of MLS that CANNOT be installed on a personal PC is the actual UNIT DATA. Using MLS and the test data is permissible on a personal PC.

(See this thread: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=842)
mcody-p40
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:59 pm

#18

Post by mcody-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Perhaps I'm rationalizing (but I don't think so) when I interpret the prohibition on installing Church record-keeping software on home computers differently than you do. If I install MLS with only dummy data at home, it is not record-keeping software. It is only when it actually keeps real records that it fits that definition.

I also think it makes little sense to prohibit ward clerks from installing MLS with dummy data on home computers. That prohibition only makes sense if we are talking about live data. Why on earth would other people be able to install MLS on home computers but only ward clerks can't?

I have MLS installed on my personal laptop (with dummy data, of course) that I use extensively in training and supporting other clerks, and I see absolutely no problem with that. Any clerk who wants to use their own computer and their own time to further their understanding of MLS by using the dummy data is completely welcome to to do so, in my opinion.
Yes, I think you are rationalizing. MLS is designed to collect, process, and display Church record information, both membership records and financial, which in themselves also include member information (tithes and offerings). If you were talking about a generic database program (like Access) or a forms generation program (like Calendar Creator), then I would agree.

The data inserted into MLS is certainly the most sensitive aspect of using MLS on a personal system. Uncontrolled distribution and installation of the software is in itself a security risk as well. However improbable, the possibility exists the software could end up being distributed through unauthorized channels. That is why I suggested that a solution would be to have the Stake Technology Specialist involved in the installation process. That way accountability and transparency is maintained and the letter (and I think spirit) of Responsibility #11 is maintained. Alan, is you Stake Technology Specialist aware that you have installed the MLS software on your PC? :)

Mac
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31287
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#19

Post by russellhltn »

opee wrote:My understanding from previous threads is that the part of MLS that CANNOT be installed on a personal PC is the actual UNIT DATA. Using MLS and the test data is permissible on a personal PC.

(See this thread: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=842)
I think the key to this question is what position does Jimmer hold and what is the current policy. Policy does change and we don't always get notified. If we were to get legalistic, the written policy is the policy at least until someone with proper powers says differently. I think Jimmer is a church employee, but I don't know his position.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15127
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#20

Post by aebrown »

mcody wrote:Alan, is your Stake Technology Specialist aware that you have installed the MLS software on your PC?

Uh, I think so. I'm pretty sure he knows, since I am the Stake Technology Specialist.:D
Post Reply

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”