MLS Training

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
churchdog

MLS Training

Post by churchdog »

Is there a "dummy" MLS program somewhere, or has anyone considered putting one somewhere? What I'm talking about is a fulling functioning version of MLS, but with a "dummy" (fake, example, etc) database that could be used to train users of the system. For example, training all MPH leaders during a stake priesthood leadership meeting...laptop to projector to screen in the chapel?

I'm sure a "real" version on a laptop could be used, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea...

1curiousclerk
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

churchdog wrote:Is there a "dummy" MLS program somewhere, or has anyone considered putting one somewhere? What I'm talking about is a fulling functioning version of MLS, but with a "dummy" (fake, example, etc) database that could be used to train users of the system. For example, training all MPH leaders during a stake priesthood leadership meeting...laptop to projector to screen in the chapel?

Yes, this has existed for many years. It is simply the regular MLS program, but with a couple of specific unit numbers. You can read all about it on the wiki at MLS test data. I've used it many times in training clerks and leaders.

Unfortunately, the test data has not been kept up to date (many of the simulated members were born so long ago that the Primary is pretty small), and it also doesn't have a way to simulate CUBS, so the financial part doesn't match the experience financial clerks have now with real data, but it's still better than nothing.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
churchdog

Post by churchdog »

Was there supposed to be a link at the end of that last sentence?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

churchdog wrote:Was there supposed to be a link at the end of that last sentence?
There is now; I accidentally saved my post before I finished it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
churchdog

Post by churchdog »

I'llcheck it out. Thanks.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

A question for Bro. Brown - I looked at the linked page and then went to the discussion. It appears there was a lengthy list of suggested improvements to the test database. That was in 2009. Were any of those suggestions implemented? Your comment that the primary is aging out suggests that they were not. Unfortunate.

I've not used this, but I wonder if one could add a bunch of baby blessings to increase the numbers. Could maybe make that part of the training on recording ordinances.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper2 wrote:A question for Bro. Brown - I looked at the linked page and then went to the discussion. It appears there was a lengthy list of suggested improvements to the test database. That was in 2009. Were any of those suggestions implemented? Your comment that the primary is aging out suggests that they were not. Unfortunate.
You're correct -- no improvements have been made to the test data in many years. In fact, in 2009 a Church employee asked if anyone would mind if the Church discontinued the feature of including the test data. You can see the reactions here.
idjeeper2 wrote:I've not used this, but I wonder if one could add a bunch of baby blessings to increase the numbers. Could maybe make that part of the training on recording ordinances.
You certainly can do that. It would be tedious to populate a set of Primary classes, but if that's an area you want to play with using sample data, it might be worth the effort.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”