Updating the leadership directory

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
wrigjef

Updating the leadership directory

Post by wrigjef »

Anyone remember how to make the manual changes and have them save? We got a new Bishopric a couple of weeks ago and although CDOL and the tools on lds.org are correct, certain emails are being sent to the previous Bishop because something, that I am not clear on, is linked to the old directory entry. I am trying to change it and can do the "Find" and even "Select" but see no way to save the change. The new entry vanishes when I try to enter another name for another calling, and when I simply reload the page the change is not there nor is it when I simply exit and the look at the directory as a member (vs the administrator).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:certain emails are being sent to the previous Bishop because something, that I am not clear on, is linked to the old directory entry.

Can you be more specific about the emails that are sent? Are these system-sent emails of some sort, or are they being sent by other members? What is the topic of the email?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I'm really not sure. I got an email from a previous Bishopric member saying they had received an email from Salt Lake indicating that they were being sent the email "because your E-mail address is displayed on the Stake and Ward Websites membership directory" and they asked me to see what I can do (as website administrator). When I found that they only incorrect entry was on the old website, I sent a test message to myself and noticed the same text "You received this email from ____ because your E-mail address is displayed on the Stake and Ward Websites membership directory" It also had the tagline "Stake and Ward Web sites
http://wards.lds.org
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 E. North Temple Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84150
© 2009 Intellectual Reserve, Inc"

This leads me to believe that perhaps the email was not sent from the church but from another member using the old directory. Right now I am just trying to update the old leadership directory. I seem to be able erase the current entries but not save new selections. What I might do is just change all the positions to blank.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:This leads me to believe that perhaps the email was not sent from the church but from another member using the old directory. Right now I am just trying to update the old leadership directory. I seem to be able erase the current entries but not save new selections. What I might do is just change all the positions to blank.

Your analysis sounds correct -- everything you mention sounds exactly like the Classic Stake and Ward Websites, and not at all like any current sites. Notice the 2009 copyright date -- that's a dead giveaway.

Most stakes I know of have chosen to disable the directory features of the Classic Stake and Ward Web sites; it can only be done at the stake level, but once the stake chooses that option, all directory-related links on the Classic sites will be redirected to the new Directory on LDS.org. Then this kind of thing couldn't happen anymore.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thanks. I'll ask the stake to consider that. I was hoping that people would just leave the classic site alone till it goes away, but my best course of action might be to get the stake to agree, then take the necessary steps.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:Thanks. I'll ask the stake to consider that. I was hoping that people would just leave the classic site alone till it goes away, but my best course of action might be to get the stake to agree, then take the necessary steps.
The latest Meetinghouse Technology Newsletter confirmed what has been the plan for quite some time: the Classic site will be decommissioned at the end of the year. So you have 7 weeks or so left where problems could occur. I guess your stake just needs to decide if they want to turn off the directory (and calendar) parts of the Classic site. It only takes a stake admin a minute or two to make the change; so I think it would be worth the effort, even with a fairly short amount of time left.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”