Importing Calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
prstone

Importing Calendars

Post by prstone »

I had never used the import utility before and I wanted to avoid problems so I created a new calendar named "Import" just to test this functionality and to avoid causing problems.

For some reason not all the events showed up when I imported them, so I deleted the calendar and tried again.

Problem 1. The deleted calendar does not appear on the deleted list and I can't seem to get it to stay there.

Problem 2. When I attempted to import the same events into the actual calendar I want them to appear in, the software reports that zero events were imported because they were previously imported into a calendar.

This software is bossy. It disobeys me when I tell it to delete a calendar and then it tells me how to use the import utility.

Can we please make this software do what the users tell it to do?

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
prstone

How do I reimport events into a calendar?

Post by prstone »

Since nobody responded:

How do I resolved this situation?
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Please give us a bit more information about your situation. Do you have administrator rights to the calendar? If so, you can permanently delete a calendar. Exactly what are you importing from? Any details you can give us helps us to find a solution.

As for problem 2, the software has been told not to allow duplicate events. It is being very literal and not allowing you to import any more events. So, in that instance, it is being "bossy" and disobeys you. We realize that it is frustrating and we keep looking for ways to make the software work more reliably and the way you expect. Thanks for your patience.
QA Engineer
prstone

Post by prstone »

I am the stake web site administrator. A high counselor provided me with a calendar of temple assignments for the entire year in iCal format. Not all the events came across. I could enter them by hand but there are over 180 different events. I brought them into a calendar called "Import" to test the import utility. Because not all the events came across I attempted to delete the calendar. It disappeared from the list of calendars and the web page showed that there was one deleted calendar. When I went into the deleted calendars, there was nothing there and it reappeared in the list of all the other calendars.

I deleted that calendar because it was faster than deleting all 180+ events, one at a time.
I created a new calendar called "Import Calendar" and attempted to import a revised iCal file to see if the missing events would then magically appear. The system then gave me a message "Zero events imported because they were previously imported into a calendar."

How do I now import these events?
How do I get the calendars to actually go away when I delete them?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Let's keep this thread focused on the issues actually related to importing calendars. I've started a new thread related to the deletion issue in the thread Deleting calendars (it turns out that the problems with deleting have nothing to do with any previous import step).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

prstone wrote:Problem 1. The deleted calendar does not appear on the deleted list and I can't seem to get it to stay there.

Problem 2. When I attempted to import the same events into the actual calendar I want them to appear in, the software reports that zero events were imported because they were previously imported into a calendar.

At this point, I think the two problems are related. Several people are reporting problems deleting calendars. If the calendar from the first import can't be deleted, then that would explain problem #2.

Until a fix is made (for which we have no time-line), I suspect you'll have to delete events out of that calendar one by one to clear the way for a re-import.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:At this point, I think the two problems are related. Several people are reporting problems deleting calendars. If the calendar from the first import can't be deleted, then that would explain problem #2.

Although the inability to delete a calendar could clearly have an impact on subsequent attempts to import, note that in post #4, we learned that in the original import, "Not all the events came across." Thus it is very possible that there is an import problem that is independent of the deletion problem (and the deletion problem is most definitely independent of the the import problem).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, I was looking at the "Zero events imported because they were previously imported into a calendar" issue.

So the remaining question is why some events didn't import in the first place.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”