Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:6 x $95 = ~$600. What am I missing? I was sticking to one device per existing TV set. Unless the FM group suddenly gives us more TV sets with carts, I'm not going to assume there's a mandate for one TV per class.
In order for each class to view simultaneously then six TVs would also be required.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:In order for each class to view simultaneously then six TVs would also be required.

We have two televisions in our library. What is the FM group authorized by the Church to provide for a building nowadays?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:We have two televisions in our library. What is the FM group authorized by the Church to provide for a building nowadays?

I was told the number is three.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Gary_Miller wrote:I was told the number is three.
Based on a new meetinghouse we received this past year, and the Library Start-up Kit information available online this is what is done per building:

1 large TV - per meetinghouse
1 Small TV - per meetinghouse (small means portable, they come in a nice large bad that can be carried and has a handle on the TV as well)
1 Small TV - per additional ward/branch assigned (example meetinghouse with 2 wards is 1 large tv and 2 small tvs)
1 Projector (additional projectors per designated seminary rooms - this is only observation, can't get confirmation anywhere)
1 Video Camera

The meetinghouse guidelines for replacing Audio/Video equipment are very vague and use a term like functioning... does a TV with no RCA inputs and only a RF input function? Depends on how you define 'function' eh?

FMG during the budgeting cycle for Stakes will have an FMAT printout on everything that the systems kicks out that needs to be budgeted for and replaced, there are default formulas in the system like replace type-x table every 7 years, replace type-y chairs every 10 years... it also kicks out copiers, computers, and AV equipment... FMG CAN override suggested budget replacement items at their discretion, and in our FMG case, over many FM, we have ended up with TV's that are over 20 years old. I think this is an unfortunate practice because it gives a Stake PFR or Stake President a false sense that the equipment in their meetinghouses are up-to-standard according to FM, but Tables and chairs are regularly replaced.

I've been told by an FM that they are so busy and so understaffed that typically they never inventory the AV equipment nor do they assess the equipment for 'function' waiting on members to bring it to their attention, and to save on budget they do not regularly replace items like copiers, AV equipment, etc... so that's how we've ended up with 20 year old TV's in our buildings. I have joked that members think of these items as our own personal handcart to pull... well, we don't have to pull handcarts, we must be called to endure static and wobbly pictures.

My whole point is this. Would I want to invite my neighbor (when I say my neighbor I am referring to someone not of our faith) to our Sunday School lesson to have them watch someone fumble around trying to hook up a cable to the right place, or try and understand what an FM modulator is doing, only to have the picture be fuzzy and the sound have static? I'm not saying we need 100 In TV's mounted in every room... but... our kids are being invited to churches that do have them in every classroom, We need to be fiscally responsible, but the widow is wondering a bit, I think, what happened to that mite she threw in, and might it be used to have a TV with volume so she can hear what's being played on the TV in the classroom.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

JohnShaw wrote:Based on a new meetinghouse we received this past year, and the Library Start-up Kit information available online this is what is done per building:

1 large TV - per meetinghouse
1 Small TV - per meetinghouse (small means portable, they come in a nice large bad that can be carried and has a handle on the TV as well)
1 Small TV - per additional ward/branch assigned (example meetinghouse with 2 wards is 1 large tv and 2 small tvs)
This would be why I was told 3 because we have two wards in out building.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

I'm half way through gathering all the videos for next year (bored at work) - and will soon have (bar a couple of missing links) all the videos downloaded and organised by YM / YW / SS and then by month. They're just the original MP4 files, but at the highest available quality.
Once I have them all if anyone wants them, just shout.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

Danny - if you don't mind, once you finish downloading all of the videos at the highest possible resolution (why do anything else, right?!), could you let us know the following information:

- Total combined file size, per organization (YM, YW, SS) for the entire year - this is for the purposes of calculating how big of a USB flash drive would be required to hold everything
- Number of videos that could not be downloaded (presumably because of copyright restrictions)

Thanks!
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)
msd360

Re:

Post by msd360 »

ericb wrote:Yes, totally agree! I'm the HC in our stake assigned seminary (we have 14 early morning classes held in 3 separate buildings), and this topic has been a point of frustration for our teachers...most are sisters and they readily admit they are not tech savvy.

I've been looking for a unified and simple way for them to have access to on-line content, which would compliment the need for the SS, YW, and YM programs. We're looking to beef up the internet pipeline in our buildings and the Roku option appears to be a very compelling option...assuming the content would be available and well organized.
Beefing up the Internet pipeline will not be effective if lds.org can't handle the demand. The only effective methods will involve some kind of local storage such as usb, dvd, laptop, iPad, etc. plus preparation.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

msd360 wrote:The only effective methods will involve some kind of local storage such as usb, dvd, laptop, iPad, etc. plus preparation.
Or a local media server.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dannykos

Re: Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Post by dannykos »

So, I have them all bar a couple.

File sizes for each auxiliary are:
Sunday School - 2.65Gb
Young Women - 6.23Gb
Young Men - 6.5Gb

The missing files are…
Sunday School:
**They That are Wise** - I could only find a youtube version that was half as long as the linked file

Young Women:
**A search for truth** - found an edited 10 minute version on youtube

Young Men:
**A search for truth** - found an edited 10 minute version on youtube
• No One Else Can Do It—Rescuing Cole

Looking through the individual file sizes - if you ditched "The Restoration" which weighs in at 743Mb and is in 4 different places, that would save almost 3Gb! I also downloaded the "Ward Council Model" at 720p as the 1080p version was 1.5Gb!

Return to “Digital Media”