Mobile App Resources

Discussions around Mobile Development
inventor96

Mobile App Resources

Post by inventor96 »

A family member and I are wanting to make our own Home Teaching app for our Android phones/tablets for personal use (not to put on the Android Market, etc.). Is it OK to have the app check in to lds.org with our accounts to get member info to import into the app?
If it's OK, how would we go about doing it? (resources, processes, etc.)
Thanks for any help!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

inventor96 wrote:A family member and I are wanting to make our own Home Teaching app for our Android phones/tablets for personal use (not to put on the Android Market, etc.). Is it OK to have the app check in to lds.org with our accounts to get member info to import into the app?

No, only apps created by the Church, or community-developed apps approved and directed by the Church, can use the LDS Account login. See here:
Membership data is always private and never integrated through APIs. Additionally, third-party developers are restricted from using LDS Account, which could give access to membership data. This restriction protects the privacy of membership data (a legal requirement in many countries) and safeguards how membership data is viewed and used.
I see that you intend to restrict it to personal use, but as I read the prohibition, it applies to all third-party developers, regardless of the intent or distribution.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
texpan19

Re: Mobile App Resources

Post by texpan19 »

I had a really similar question, I built a home teaching APP that totally works for reporting as well. An MLS API could really change the world, for the better.

In lieu of that, I am willing to give my reporting project to the church, and all my code. Can we make this a project already?

Return to “Mobile Development”