Members using LDS Id's to authenticate in meeting houses

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

RussellHltn wrote:That sounds like an issue with your particular FM group.
If FM is not being responsive, I'd inform the Stake President of the situation.
Agree. If this issue is causing problem for meetings than the Stake President should be able to make it a priority for the FM group.

Aaron Z
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

This has not been the case in our Stake. I don't know why, the Stake President is as baffled as I am.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

I say we all pitch in $10 to upgrade John's Pix. :D
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

thanks sammy ....but Don't worry, I'm assured that we will budget for it next year. From the Forum entries, I see once in a while others in this situation, but the experiences of others on this board seems so different than mine, I have to wonder why. But I am powerless to do anything about it. It is unfortunate.

I blame myself, of course, because I didn't get involved with the budgeting in 2011 for 2012, based on the Training that came out, the instructions from ICS to implement the new firewalls and WAPs - I made the assumption that I wouldn't need to specifically budget for it, because FM would do it through assignment. I found out later that the process was only 'strongly encourage' in 2011 and 2012, but that 2013 it is now required. Sometimes I'd really like to go back to the early days interpretation of common consent.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I do apologize to the entire board for my oft-repeated whining about FM, but I think it important to post that it doesn't always work as smoothly as it is often stated on this board. The gulf between the vision my Presidency has for delivering technology and the online experience for the members of our stake is way out in front of what FM is doing.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

KeithWilson wrote:Based on a webinar training I attended originating in Lehi, Utah I think the following information is still accurate.
All firewalls and wireless access points must purchased by the FM group, and all must be upgraded to the Cisco 881W Firewall, and Cisco 1041N wireless access points. These are then accessed, configured and maintained from HQ. They have the hardware and software to enable the LDS Account authentication. All basic access, (connecting to the access point) will be standardized with the same SSID and Password throughout every building in the church. But you won't be able to go anywhere until after you login to your LDS Account.

The Meetinghouse Technology Newsletter that was just sent out says that this whole effort to use LDS Account to authenticate for Internet usage in meetinghouses has been canceled (or at least postponed indefinitely): "We have been asked to improve controls over what can be accessed instead of controlling who can access it. As a result, signing in with an LDS Account will not be required for Internet use."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It will be interesting to see how that will work out. If you're really worried about managing the bandwidth/metering of data, it seems like you'd want to have the permissions tied in some way to the user's identity. Also it would seem to me that the LDS Account is an effective way to keep the neighborhood out of the system without having to turn it off with the lights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:The Meetinghouse Technology Newsletter that was just sent out says that this whole effort to use LDS Account to authenticate for Internet usage in meetinghouses has been canceled (or at least postponed indefinitely): "We have been asked to improve controls over what can be accessed instead of controlling who can access it. As a result, signing in with an LDS Account will not be required for Internet use."
It sounds as if the leadership wants everyone to have access. I wonder how long it will take for some stake leaders to get on board and give out the passward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:It sounds as if the leadership wants everyone to have access. I wonder how long it will take for some stake leaders to get on board and give out the passward?

That's one possible interpretation. The other is that the leaders feel that the password method is a sufficient level of control for now and they're more concerned about what can and can't be accessed.

For example, blocking off all of YouTube is rather limiting, but at the same time you don't want to have unfiltered access to it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

Yes - we need much clearer direction here. I've been touting this upcoming feature to our leadership for months now, and now I have a lot of egg on my face if it's not coming.

The shared secret password is silly. It needs to go away. Shared secrets are as good as open networks in this case. For a home user, shared secret can work, but not for a huge enterprise like the Church. What's to stop it from getting posted and having every home or apartment building near a church AP to leech the free WiFi?

A captive portal was the right answer - and having it to drive LDS Account usage and remembrance (can't tell you how many ppl have created LDS Accounts and forgotten their credentials) was an added benefit of this feature. It also gives us a possible audit trail of who is on the WiFi and what they accessed, something my stake president was keen on when I told him we would be expanding WiFi access.

If the WiFi is not to be restricted (as the message indicated), then even things like the default IP addressing of the routers needs to be addressed. I have had to bother the GSC 3 times for 5 different buildings to expand the number of available IP addresses to accommodate all the users of our stake. We just keep running out, and I have confirmed it's because we have over 200 devices in the building at a time that are getting IP addresses.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”