Sophos problems MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
stephen500

Sophos problems MLS

Post by stephen500 »

Installed Sophos on MLS computer. Bishop reported computer kept crashing and not opening programmes. Ran antivirus checks (Malware bytes, superantispyware) and used ccleaner.
Running better. But contacted Gobal services who told me that the church has been having problems with Sophos for several months. I note a new version was released on the 23rd Jan 2012. But propabally not available on lds.org. So I asked if global services could remove it from this mls computer. No real joy. I tried installing it again on top. It did the updates but in the end would not finish installing. So I have disable Sophos and associated programmes in "services". I have also stopped them in msconfig, start up. This so far has worked. I am about to install "Panda Cloud" untill such time as the church has a workable Sophos programme. They should get rid of Sophos, I have removed several trojans from mls computer "protected" (and I use the word loosely) by imho rubbish software. Any suggestions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stephen500 wrote:I note a new version was released on the 23rd Jan 2012. But propabally not available on lds.org.

Perhaps not coincidentally, mls.lds.org was updated the same day. So perhaps the new version is there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

Panda cloud found a Trojan
Deldir.A (started being seen Nov 5th 2012) location c: dell\fix.bat
Deletes random files
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Perhaps that's what's been causing the problem. I've been running Sophos on both WinXP and Win7 church machines without problems, so I know it can be done. But I've also seen other posts of people who are having problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

Still think Sophos is rubbish!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

stephen500 wrote:Still think Sophos is rubbish!
Unfortunately we don't get a vote on what the Church requires to be used on the administrative computers. As with any AV or malware program none are capable of detecting or removing everything. Some are better than others in one area or the other. The best protection still is the practices of those who use the computers and the adherence to the procedures established to protect the computers. Infections happen when those who use the computers are not responsible in the manner in which they approach security. Reliance on any software to protect a computer from users' risky behaviors is asking for trouble.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

stephen500 wrote:Still think Sophos is rubbish!
I agree!

I'm just hoping that the newest release of Sophos is less resource hugging than the previous version, especially just after start up!
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

jdlessley wrote:Unfortunately we don't get a vote on what the Church requires to be used on the administrative computers. As with any AV or malware program none are capable of detecting or removing everything. Some are better than others in one area or the other. The best protection still is the practices of those who use the computers and the adherence to the procedures established to protect the computers. Infections happen when those who use the computers are not responsible in the manner in which they approach security. Reliance on any software to protect a computer from users' risky behaviors is asking for trouble.
I have had clerks get viruses from simple things such as installing what they saw as a real Adobe updater.
Both computers that were infected the clerks are older wise men, who wouldn't be doing any thing risky. Some of the nasty people out there who put out these trojans are pretty smart. According to Global services they do take our feedback on board. So much so that a new version of Sophos has been released as of the 23rd of this month. I would guess it will turn out to be as rubbish as the last one. I don't trust it and I will continue to do other scans when I do audits.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”