Moving to a new city - ward boundaries?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bdavey

Moving to a new city - ward boundaries?

Post by bdavey »

Hi everybody,

Is there a way to get a ward boundary map for a ward that I'm not in?

I got a job in Santa Rosa, CA, and I'm hoping to find out what the ward boundaries are for each ward there. I know that wherever we end up is where we should be and plan to contribute to whatever ward we're in, but it would be nice in our search efforts to know the general areas we should focus on.

I know that on LDS maps you can find out what meetinghouse a certain address is assigned to, but I'm wondering if you could find out what "area" or boundary a meetinghouse / ward occupies.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Log into maps.lds.org. If you're logged in, you see the boundaries of that ward. If you move the marker, then you can see the boundaries of the new ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Log into maps.lds.org. If you're logged in, you see the boundaries of that ward. If you move the marker, then you can see the boundaries of the new ward.
That capability is not available to regular members -- you can do it because you are an assistant stake clerk. Regular members can only see the boundaries of their current stake and the wards in their stake.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:That capability is not available to regular members -- you can do it because you are an assistant stake clerk. Regular members can only see the boundaries of their current stake and the wards in their stake.

Huh. I didn't know my "special privileges' extended to maps. I knew better then to suggest CDOL.

On the maps page, before I sign in, I see "Church members can sign in to see their own ward boundaries and other kinds of boundaries worldwide." Any idea what "other kinds of boundries worldwide" would be?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:On the maps page, before I sign in, I see "Church members can sign in to see their own ward boundaries and other kinds of boundaries worldwide." Any idea what "other kinds of boundries worldwide" would be?

According to the legend, the only options besides your own stake and its wards that are listed are missions and areas.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bdavey

Post by bdavey »

aebrown wrote:According to the legend, the only options besides your own stake and its wards that are listed are missions and areas.

That's helpful, thanks! Should I contact a Stake clerk of the Santa Rosa stake to see if I could get a copy of a map with ward boundaries? Or is that technically not allowed and I should just go in to the office to see it in person?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bdavey wrote:That's helpful, thanks! Should I contact a Stake clerk of the Santa Rosa stake to see if I could get a copy of a map with ward boundaries? Or is that technically not allowed and I should just go in to the office to see it in person?
Although I'm sure that the restrictions on who can see all ward/stake boundaries were put in place for good reasons, in your situation you are soon to be a member of the stake you want the boundaries for. So it seems to me that it is within the discretion of that stake (ultimately the stake president, but someone lower could make the decision) whether they want to give you those maps in anticipation of you moving into their stake.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bdavey wrote:Is there a way to get a ward boundary map for a ward that I'm not in?
It is a little bit labor intensive [insert understatement of the year award here], but if you really want to spend some time, you can plug in a series of addresses in the new area and find out in which ward they would be located. If you know where you will be working, and have in mind some subdivisions where you will be searching for homes or apartments, this is one way you can get a general idea of where you may land.
HutchingsCK

Re: Moving to a new city - ward boundaries?

Post by HutchingsCK »

I'm in the same boat. This whole process seems counter intuitive and labor intensive. I would think people moving would want to see what neighborhoods they will be in a ward with. But I know the user experience is probably last on the priority list for this tool.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Moving to a new city - ward boundaries?

Post by lajackson »

It has been 4-1/2 years since the previous post, and a lot has changed since then. If you log in with your LDS Account, you should be able to see ward boundaries anywhere and get a feel for where a certain area will fall.

Return to “General Discussions”