Moving to a new city - ward boundaries?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
davesudweeks

Re: Moving to a new city - ward boundaries?

Post by davesudweeks »

cknicholas wrote:Is the such a tool to help members when they are only looking "to move"?
Keep in mind that this is no guarantee that you will be in the ward/branch you want for very long. If a boundary change happens, your efforts to land in a specific ward could come to naught. In my experience, the Stake never publishes proposed boundary changes until they actually happen. I have seen those changes sometimes require members to travel past two different closer LDS ward buildings to go to the one they are now a part of...

My suggestion: choose a home that will be beneficial for your family and situation and make the best of whatever ward you are in.
douglasbbird

Post by douglasbbird »

Do you know where that can be located? I can still only see my own ward in Idaho, but I just moved to Oklahoma and I can’t see any Wardboundaries around me.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I suggest you enter your address in the Meetinghouse Locator (https://www.lds.org/maps/meetinghouses/?lang=eng) that will tell you what ward you live in. The Bishop/Branch President's contact information is listed so you can contact him to request your records. Then you will see the ward boundary of the ward where you live.
d.mitch.bailey

Post by d.mitch.bailey »

1) Log on to lds.org (you might have to be a member, but it doesn't look like any particular calling is required.)
1) Under "Tools and Support", open "Meetinghouse Locator"
2) On the bottom right, to the left of the Satellite icon, there is a 3x3 array of dots. When you mouse over, it says "Map Apps". Click on this.
3) Choose "Classic LDS Maps"
4) On the left, click on "Wards and Branches" to see boundaries anywhere in the world.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

d.mitch.bailey wrote:1) Log on to lds.org (you might have to be a member, but it doesn't look like any particular calling is required.)
1) Under "Tools and Support", open "Meetinghouse Locator"
2) On the bottom right, to the left of the Satellite icon, there is a 3x3 array of dots. When you mouse over, it says "Map Apps". Click on this.
3) Choose "Classic LDS Maps"
4) On the left, click on "Wards and Branches" to see boundaries anywhere in the world.
Alternately, direct your browser to classic.lds.org/maps (same target as the "Classic LDS Maps" app).
Sign in with your LDS Account.
Click the layers tool in the upper right corner of the map. There are two sections: Facilities and Boundaries. Rather than describe any more, I'll encourage you to poke around. If you're like me, you'll be equally amazed at both how impressive a resource this is, and how unknown it is to most members.
jodywright00

Post by jodywright00 »

I am trying to find the YSA ward in our boundary for our granddaughter to will be living w us. I have been unable to view boundaries except for our home ward. Map locates does not come up. I’m very frustrated and have spent way too much time trying to get help w this
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jodywright00 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:38 pm I am trying to find the YSA ward in our boundary for our granddaughter to will be living w us. I have been unable to view boundaries except for our home ward. Map locates does not come up. I’m very frustrated and have spent way too much time trying to get help w this
In our area, we have a YSA branch that serves at least 3 stakes. The branch is not in my stake (my son attends). I recommend you speak with your ward or stake leaders about what YSA options are available in your area. Someone should know but it may not be obvious using the maps function.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

jodywright00 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:38 pm I am trying to find the YSA ward in our boundary for our granddaughter to will be living w us. I have been unable to view boundaries except for our home ward. Map locates does not come up. I’m very frustrated and have spent way too much time trying to get help w this
Would you like to see a map of all the YSA units in the world?

Direct your browser to classic.lds.org/maps.
Sign in with your LDS Account.
Click the "Map Layers" tool in the upper right corner of the map. The pop-up will show two sections: "Facilities" and "Boundaries". Click on "Boundaries". In the "Boundaries" list, click on "\/ Other Wards" to expand a sub list under it. In that list, select "Singles".
In my browser, YSA ("Singles") ward boundaries are drawn in yellow, and on a layer behind other boundaries, which often overlap. So, I can usually see them more clearly by hiding (UNchecking the box next to) other boundaries.

Screenshot attached.
I hope that helps,
D.G.
Attachments
Classic Maps.jpg
(290.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

davesudweeks wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:38 pm
In our area, we have a YSA branch that serves at least 3 stakes. The branch is not in my stake (my son attends). I recommend you speak with your ward or stake leaders about what YSA options are available in your area. Someone should know but it may not be obvious using the maps function.
If you use the meetinghouse locator (without logging in), you can enter your address and search for just YSA wards to see if there is one in your area. For example, entering Salt Lake City as the address, you get the below results:
Capture.PNG
(57.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

How YSA's wards/branches function in practice will vary greatly based on location. If you're asking a Q about Utah, it will be different than in the eastern US states. In my Stake, we don't have a YSA unit, and some YSA's attend a YSA college ward in a neighboring Stake, others a smaller YSA Branch in a different Stake (if that's closer to them), and many attend their home wards (travel time and distance is a big factor). And yes, this leads to ongoing issues trying to keep track of and minister to the YSA's, but it's the best the Church can offer.

Just to say that I agree that contacting a local leader is best, as they should know what their local young single adult members are doing. It's definitely a mixed bag.

Return to “General Discussions”