Event posters in meetinghouse foyers

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mprusse

Event posters in meetinghouse foyers

Post by mprusse »

I remember reading years ago about a church policy to not allow posters for events in our meetinghouse foyers. Our building foyers have begun to look very commercial and in my opinion, distract from the spirit that should be present when people enter the building and away from the beautiful artwork there; often pictures of the Savior. It is not uncommon to find two or more floor easels with posters in each foyer.

Does anyone know where I can find this policy to share with our stake?

Thank you.
rootbeericecream

Posters in the Foyer

Post by rootbeericecream »

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1988/03/news- ... s?lang=eng
March, 1988 Ensign, "News of the Church" Policies and annoucements.

Meetinghouse Bulletin Boards

Church policy specifies that items posted on meetinghouse bulletin boards are to be 8 1/2 by 11 inches in size or smaller. Items coming from Church headquarters will conform to this size. Strict adherence to this policy will ensure better communication of the notices posted and a neater appearance of the bulletin boards. It will also ensure that all who post items have an equal opportunity to use the available space.

As bulletin boards are located to be highly visible, they should convey an attitude on the part of members of order, neatness, and reverence to those who enter the meetinghouses. Unkempt, unsightly bulletin boards reflect negatively upon the Church and its members and can detract from an otherwise well-kept meetinghouse. Local leaders are to ensure that meetinghouse bulletin boards are kept neat and presentable and that items posted comply with Church policy.

The use of easels to display large posters or signs in meetinghouse foyers is discouraged.

General interest announcements can be included in the ward sacrament meeting program handout.
mprusse wrote:I remember reading years ago about a church policy to not allow posters for events in our meetinghouse foyers. Our building foyers have begun to look very commercial and in my opinion, distract from the spirit that should be present when people enter the building and away from the beautiful artwork there; often pictures of the Savior. It is not uncommon to find two or more floor easels with posters in each foyer.

Does anyone know where I can find this policy to share with our stake?

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rootbeericecream wrote:http://www.lds.org/ensign/1988/03/news- ... s?lang=eng
March, 1988 Ensign, "News of the Church" Policies and annoucements.
Good find. However, since then a new handbook has come out. Off hand, I can't find any such policy in Handbook 2. Maybe someone can check Handbook 1 or find it in some other current material.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
PaulDille

Re: Event posters in meetinghouse foyers

Post by PaulDille »

Handbook:
Artwork

Meetinghouses should reflect an attitude of reverence for Jesus Christ and testify of members’ belief in Him. Art depicting Jesus Christ should be placed in meetinghouse foyer areas to help show this central belief. Foyer areas should not have distractions such as display cases, bulletin boards, tables, and easels. Art depicting Jesus Christ, scriptural scenes, and Church history is appropriate for hallways and classrooms
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Event posters in meetinghouse foyers

Post by Mikerowaved »

Ultimately, it's up to the bishop(s) in a particular building to determine if a display on an easel is appropriate or not. Often there's a bulletin board down one or more hallways that's better suited for some items.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”