Feedback / Suggestion: Ability to Send Email Notice

The Newsletter application will eventually appear alongside Calendar, Directory, and Maps
failproof

Post by failproof »

jdlessley wrote:Just to be clear LDS Tools is a mobile application. To avoid confusion the applications currently available through the LDS.org Tools menu should not be referred to as LDS Tools.
OK, good point, not intending to confuse these pages with the mobile apps, but you are missing my point... you still use the same LDS Account for access/security/preferences/etc. My point thus being that preferences would be global across all the LDS Account enabled applications, web pages, etc.
jdlessley wrote:If subscriptions were to be applied to the groups in the Newsletter I would want those subscriptions to remain separate from my preferences for the Calendar or any other program that would eventually incorporate anything related to notices being sent for changes or additions.

You are missing the vision I had of this though (and probably my fault for not being more clear) - You wouldn't set one simple "send me email updates" field. You would have a list in your preferences, broken up by application/tool, then by category/calendar/etc. that would allow you, in one location, to set your notification preferences for all LDS applications and tools. Your News letter preferences would still be separate from your calendar preferences, but the LDS applications would all draw their user preferences from a single database rather than the having separate preferences databases for each application. And for the user, you can turn on and off your notifications for all the applications in one place. Likely not an easy thing to implement for the developers, but not everything worth doing is easy...
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

@failproof
Your recommendation is posted in a thread specific to an application, Newsletter, and more specifically in a thread who's topic is in regard to sending e-mail notices from within that application. Any discussion in this thread should focus on the original post topic. If you wish to discuss LDS Account credentialing and user preferences for multiple online applications then a new thread in the LDS.ORG Web Site forum would be more appropriate.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
failproof

Post by failproof »

@jdlessley
I appreciate your feedback, it is a good suggestion, definitely worth a new thread in the other forum. But keep in mind, it does apply to this thread as well, since the concept being suggested here is about email and subscribing to categories/topics within the newsletter, a concept which doesn't currently exist for newsletter. My suggestion is just a little more broad saying yes give us the ability to subscribe to a given newsletter thread but also make it so that I don't have to go to each application to adjust my subscriptions, make it something that applies to newsletters, calendars, and potentially more and give me the ability to manage it from my LDS Account profile.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

failproof wrote:You are missing the vision I had of this though (and probably my fault for not being more clear) - You wouldn't set one simple "send me email updates" field. You would have a list in your preferences, broken up by application/tool, then by category/calendar/etc. that would allow you, in one location, to set your notification preferences for all LDS applications and tools. Your News letter preferences would still be separate from your calendar preferences, but the LDS applications would all draw their user preferences from a single database rather than the having separate preferences databases for each application. And for the user, you can turn on and off your notifications for all the applications in one place. Likely not an easy thing to implement for the developers, but not everything worth doing is easy...
I think the LDS Account team is working on something like this -- a place where users can globally define preferences for all LDS applications. I'm not sure of the details or the expected go-live date, but some kind of global identity management system is being worked on, and it would probably include e-mail preferences for applications.

Return to “Beta Newsletter”