Study Notebook Export

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
guffism

Study Notebook Export

Post by guffism »

It would be neat to be able to research and build a "talk" in the Study Notebook tool and then be able to export the text (and links) into a document app (like Word) for further massage prior to presentation.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

If you are using the online version you can export your notebooks. click on the little down arrow next to the notebook name and the first option is download. This gives you several options, including docx (Word).
andrewbenjamingeorge

Re: Study Notebook Export

Post by andrewbenjamingeorge »

I am not seeing this option anymore. Is this still possible?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You can still download annotations at the old Notes page, though that will probably be going away soon as it's being replaced by Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The Notes page at Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org now has a download button that allows you to download/export your notes as a CSV.
The export downloads all of your notes; they're not divided up by notebook.
mevans

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:The Notes page at Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org now has a download button that allows you to download/export your notes as a CSV.
The export downloads all of your notes; they're not divided up by notebook.
Thanks for telling us about this. I tried it out and have the following observations:
  • The placement of the download icon doesn't seem intuitive. It looks like you want to download a specific note, but it downloads all notes. It seems like it belongs on the left area with the notes/tags/notebooks/search icons.
  • The export doesn't contain a list of tags associated with the note.
  • The export doesn't contain a list of notebooks associated with the note.
  • Not all of the notes are exported. My export only had 997 notes. Looking at the old notes page, I see that I have 5,175 notes total (the new Notes page doesn't give you a count). The dates on my exported CSV notes were from 2011-2016, so maybe it starts at the beginning and only exports a certain number of notes?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm guessing the annotations that didn't download are of a certain type? For example, highlights without notes attached? That's interesting that it didn't download anything more recent – I assume you've written notes since 2016. That definitely sounds like a bug.
mevans

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:I'm guessing the annotations that didn't download are of a certain type? For example, highlights without notes attached? That's interesting that it didn't download anything more recent – I assume you've written notes since 2016. That definitely sounds like a bug.
Yes, I make annotations quite frequently. I'm wondering if the export has been tried with a large quantity. My annotations are a mix of highlight-only and highlight with notes. The limiting factor seemed to be quantity. I wonder if something timed out gather that much data?

Often times on systems where a report might take some time, you don't get your results instantly, but instead come back for your results. Take Amazon, for example. If I try to download a purchase history report, I'm telling it to run a report. I don't get an instant download, but have to wait for the report to appear, and then I can download it. I've never seen it take very long for the report to appear, but the interface is designed so that you're not tying up a request waiting for a report to generate.
djdinut1

Post by djdinut1 »

The download feature referred to above seems to have been changed recently. For a number of months, no download feature was available at all, Recently changed, there is now a download button you can click on, and it does download SOME annotations but certainly not all. In my case, it's downloading annotations created between 2011 and the end of 2014 but nothing more recent. Does anyone know why the download feature does not download all annotations?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

djdinut1 wrote:The download feature referred to above seems to have been changed recently. For a number of months, no download feature was available at all, Recently changed, there is now a download button you can click on, and it does download SOME annotations but certainly not all. In my case, it's downloading annotations created between 2011 and the end of 2014 but nothing more recent. Does anyone know why the download feature does not download all annotations?
I'm not sure, but I'd recommend sending this as feedback using the link at the bottom of Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org. Do you have a lot of notes?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”