Feature Request: Print Large (Plotter Size) Maps of Ward

Beta testing of maps.lds.org
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

aebrown wrote:I would note that there is nothing special about pdf995 in this regard. You can do the same thing with CutePDF or PDFCreator, or I would guess just about any PDF printer. As far as I know, they all have a way to set a custom paper size. I just did it with CutePDF (which is the standard PDF printer driver for clerk computers) and it worked just fine.

I agree. CutePDF and pdf995 work substantially the same. I have used both to produce very large map PDFs originated in different application software, although I only have CutePDF installed now.

The problems sharicarnahan and I described above involve the features and behavior of the Printer Friendly mode of the maps.lds.org application when trying to print maps of our geographically large wards. The method dennisn describes is essentially what we have been trying, but it does not work for our units. Apparently it may work well for smaller, compact wards, but ours are larger than the threshhold of usability of this website function. The dynamic clusters don't expand to show the family names, and the missing navigation controls make it next to impossible to zoom and frame the map properly for printing at all.

However, I am able to print large CutePDF maps of my ward originated from other mapping applications. I find that the relatively inexpensive DeLorme Street Atlas USA application meets that need. I use it with CutePDF to print my ward with all family names as a 36 X 48 inch map at a scale of 1:20,800. That is equivalent to 1 inch to 1,733 feet.

At some point, when the units become even larger, it becomes inherently impossible for any map application to display enough street map detail and still show the whole area at once. For another ward, several times larger than mine, I have resorted to creating two large PDFs from the DeLorme application: One map zoomed out to show the whole ward as a 90 X 40 inch PDF at a scale of 1:31,250; and a zoomed-in, 36 X 60 inch map at a scale of 1:17,600 covering only the urban portion. Those maps did not include the family names because the user's requirements were different, but they did need to see street detail.
jcarroll

Post by jcarroll »

RossEvans wrote:The dynamic clusters don't expand to show the family names, and the missing navigation controls make it next to impossible to zoom and frame the map properly for printing at all.
I would like to echo and emphasize this point: The "Printer-friendly" user interface lacks zoom controls; to complicate matters, when changes are made in the Page Setup menu such that the dimensions of the map change, the map will automatically zoom out.

This is a great feature, and I hope we get the kinks worked out soon.

Yours,
Brother Carroll
dennisn

Post by dennisn »

Thanks aebrown. Apologies for my ignorance. Not trying to say that pdf995 is better than anything else out there. I just was unaware of any others, and specifically did not know that CutePDF is standard / recommended for clerk computers. Just got excited to find ANY solution to a vexing problem and wanted to share it with others. I'm somewhat puzzled that, when I called CHQ asking for a largersized map they did not tell me to just use CutePDF. Maybe I got routed to the wrong dept. Anyway, thanks again for the info.
mkeamo

Question

Post by mkeamo »

When I try to print a large boundary map the markers for households are visible but when I print no markers are printed, just the map. What am I missing, how can I print the markers too? Thanks in advance.
erinbourgeous
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erinbourgeous »

mkeamo wrote:When I try to print a large boundary map the markers for households are visible but when I print no markers are printed, just the map. What am I missing, how can I print the markers too? Thanks in advance.
What web browser (type, version) were you using and on which os?
Erin Bourgeous
Quality Assurance Engineer, LDS Church
mkeamo

Post by mkeamo »

Firefox and Microsoft XP.
erinbourgeous
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erinbourgeous »

mkeamo wrote:Firefox and Microsoft XP.

I'm not able to reproduce your problem. Is the entire map area printing correctly in the correct size?
Erin Bourgeous
Quality Assurance Engineer, LDS Church
douglasbodily

Re: Feature Request: Print Large (Plotter Size) Maps of Ward

Post by douglasbodily »

I do not have the option to print maps Am I looking at the maps wrong?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

douglasbodily wrote:I do not have the option to print maps Am I looking at the maps wrong?
As I understand it, the print feature discussed in this two-year-old thread has been removed in more recent versions of the LDS Maps site.
tietjen

Post by tietjen »

Just throwing out other options. I found that Google Earth Pro is now available for free and it allows you to print Hi-Res prints of the maps or save to PDF or JPEG. You can also import a CSV with information you want on it. Hope that helps someone.

Return to “Beta Maps”