Metrics needed re. portal development

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

Locked
RitcheyMT
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:33 am

Metrics needed re. portal development

#1

Post by RitcheyMT »

Our executive sponsors (Don Anderson and Craig Miller) are interested in making the site more useful. Don has mentioned that when we migrated the site from Plone to MediaWiki and lost all the links between the country/state pages and the record type pages, that rendered the place pages pretty useless. Now that we have portals up and running, we need to reconstitute those links. We also need a way to measure which ones are done and which need work. That's doubly true because our admins can create the shell for a portal page (inserting all the boxes), but then a content specialist for the place/topic in question must populate that shell with useful content and links. We need a way to know which one of these portals is maturing and which are basically empty shells.

Some metrics that might help are:
  1. A Special Page which lists all portals whose sub-pages (boxes) have less than 10 links. (These are skeletal portal pages that need fleshing out.)
  2. A Special Page listing and linking to all portals with 10 or more links. (These are more mature portals.)
  3. A statistics page which lists how many of #1 and #2 the site has.
Darris Williams-p40
New Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:52 am
Location: Highland Utah

Portal Development

#2

Post by Darris Williams-p40 »

Is it possible to use a specifically designed poll on this forum to track the progress of the portal development?
The_Earl
Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:12 am

#3

Post by The_Earl »

Darris Williams wrote:Is it possible to use a specifically designed poll on this forum to track the progress of the portal development?
I would recommend a page like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... n_Progress

The Earl
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#4

Post by WelchTC »

This forum software has a "project" module that allows you to create tasks and have people assigned to those tasks. It allows others to comment on the work being done on the task. It may work for you. Let me know and we can investigate if it will meet your needs. I used it briefly in the past on a PHP project I had the community help with. Since then we have not used it but we definitely could setup a new project.

Tom
RitcheyMT
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:33 am

Re: Project module

#5

Post by RitcheyMT »

tomw wrote:This forum software has a "project" module that allows you to create tasks and have people assigned to those tasks. It allows others to comment on the work being done on the task. It may work for you. Let me know and we can investigate if it will meet your needs. I used it briefly in the past on a PHP project I had the community help with. Since then we have not used it but we definitely could setup a new project.
Tom, thanks so much for this heads-up! I love the idea of implementing a project tracker that's integrated with either this forum app or with our wiki app.

And for anyone who wants to know the featureset of the projects module, see http://www.vbulletin.com/features_project.php
JamesAnderson
Senior Member
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 pm

#6

Post by JamesAnderson »

I've also seen dotproject.com, it also allows for tracking of projects among a group of users, and can be accessed online, and is also password-protected. Might this also work?
User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

#7

Post by mkmurray »

We used VersionOne at my last job. It works really well for Agile Development practices. However, I think it can end up being a pretty expensive product.
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#8

Post by WelchTC »

JamesAnderson wrote:I've also seen dotproject.com, it also allows for tracking of projects among a group of users, and can be accessed online, and is also password-protected. Might this also work?
I've used dotproject.com on some previous projects. it is a nice package but if you need to assign permissions to different people or groups of people it becomes difficult.

Tom
User avatar
daddy-o-p40
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

#9

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Neat info.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
Locked

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”