Wanted: free online way to share backlog and iterations planning docs

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

RitcheyMT

vBulletin Projects module

Post by RitcheyMT »

In a post on a different thread, tomw mentioned that vBulletin, the app behind this forum, has a project tracking module. It's exciting to think of our forum app and the project tracking app being integrated. :D

I haven't looked at the project app yet, but details can be found on http://www.vbulletin.com/features_project.php
RitcheyMT

vBulletin projects module anemic

Post by RitcheyMT »

Unfortunately, the vBulletin projects module is anemic. It doesn't even come close to being an online replacement for our current project whiteboards and sticky notes. It's nowhere near the same league as Earl's suggestion, Scrumworks.
The_Earl

Edit wars

Post by The_Earl »

ritcheymt wrote:Thanks, Earl -- good ideas. One question, though -- what do you mean about the edit war? I understand the concept of edit wars, but I'm trying to think of an example of how an edit war would affect the completion of a sprint task. Not questioning the idea; just curious.
"Edit war" was a poor choice of words on my part.

Mostly I would worry about two isolated and incompatible solutions to the same problem. If we were talking about code / extensions, this would be a big problem, but with just wiki content, I am not sure it is such a big concern.

Thanks
The Earl
engerhk-p40

Post by engerhk-p40 »

ritcheymt wrote:I visited the site; there's no example of an implementation. They used to have one, but people abused it. I searched the Wayback Machine to see the implementation, and found a link to it, but the implementation was not archived by Wayback. :(

It's possible, though, to download the code and have a look that way. Kip? Jim? Would this be worth doing?

I think the process is:
1. put it on the backlog
2. prioritize it
3. do it (in this case analyze it)

right?
engerhk-p40

Post by engerhk-p40 »

ritcheymt wrote:Wow. Nice heads-up, Earl. I watched the tutorial and was impressed. This seems to have all the functionality that Kip Enger, our project manager ("Mr. Check-off") wants.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of features between the freeware and pro versions, as well as some cost/licensing info. Kip, if you like the look of this product, could you obtain these details for the team?

The differences of the two (from http://www.danube.com/scrumworks/comparison) are:
Pro
support
ROI analysis
timesheets / time tracking
program mgmt
real-time reports
user mgmt
integration w/ ext apps
MySqL support
dockable framework

Basic
product mgmt
drag & drop
prioritization of work
sprint mgmt
reporting
data accessibility

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. While the discussion is good, the process for moving ideas into tasks is
1. include it on the backlog via product management
2. prioritize it
3. include it on a sprint
4. resource it
5. do it

Sorry - looks like I'm getting my comments on to the wrong thread - I can't text either.
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

ritcheymt wrote:Wow. Nice heads-up, Earl. I watched the tutorial and was impressed. This seems to have all the functionality that Kip Enger, our project manager ("Mr. Check-off") wants.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of features between the freeware and pro versions, as well as some cost/licensing info. Kip, if you like the look of this product, could you obtain these details for the team?

I do not think that Scrumworks will fill the need that this thread was created for. It is a good productivity tool for teams, but not an online colaboration tool.

Thanks
The Earl
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

ritcheymt wrote:Unfortunately, the vBulletin projects module is anemic. It doesn't even come close to being an online replacement for our current project whiteboards and sticky notes. It's nowhere near the same league as Earl's suggestion, Scrumworks.
The vBulletin PM tool is pretty weak but I felt it necessary to at least make you aware of it.

Tom
RitcheyMT

Post by RitcheyMT »

tomw wrote:The vBulletin PM tool is pretty weak but I felt it necessary to at least make you aware of it.
Oh, hey, I sincerely apologize. I see by re-reading my post that by being critical of the tool's ability to satisfy the use case, I came off as being totally rude to you, Tom. I didn't mean that at all. I really appreciate you giving us a heads-up; it would have been great to use a project tracker that is already integrated with the forum.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

ritcheymt wrote:Oh, hey, I sincerely apologize. I see by re-reading my post that by being critical of the tool's ability to satisfy the use case, I came off as being totally rude to you, Tom. I didn't mean that at all. I really appreciate you giving us a heads-up; it would have been great to use a project tracker that is already integrated with the forum.
Thanks but no need to worry. I didn't read your post as rude or anything.

Tom
andersonhome-p40

Adding a blog to FamilySearch Wiki

Post by andersonhome-p40 »

You may want to consider adding a Blog to provide updates to the users on what is happening to the wiki. I don't think you want the user community to be able to edit our sprints, but I think you want to share and allow comments. It seems like a blog format would be better than a wiki for this type of content.

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”