Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
MiceNuts

Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Post by MiceNuts »

I have really enjoyed using this app good job and thank you.
But I have some ideas to help add features and especially when studying from my Android tablet

1. It would be nice to do multiple highlights using the different colors. Example say I would like to highlight the vision\story of the tree of light one color but then there are certain versus\sentences I would like to highlight a different color and annotations.

2. Custom links - It would be nice to be able to build custom links to different scriptures and content in the applicant ensign and study materials.

3. When in Gospel doctrine and other classes I have teachers that do a really good job of making study handouts and other material they pass around before there lessons that relate to a section of scriptures. It would be really nice to be able to use the camera and take a picture of the handout and then link or attach it to those scriptures so when studying those latter I could click on the link or attachment and it would bring up that handout.

4. It would be really nice in the study tools if you could add all the churches pictures and images to the list so they could be downloaded and then you could create links from scriptures to certain pictures. You can categorize the pictures so you can pic and choose what ones you would like to download.

Thanks for you time and talents
joey.skinner

My Study Notebook

Post by joey.skinner »

I would really like to be able to use the My Study Notebook from lds.org. I notice it does sync the highlights and tags back and forth. But I have no way of viewing my notebook.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

joey.skinner wrote:I would really like to be able to use the My Study Notebook from lds.org. I notice it does sync the highlights and tags back and forth. But I have no way of viewing my notebook.
Could you help us understand what the problem is? You said that you noticed that the highlights and tags are syncing back and forth. I would have thought that you could only see that if you went to My Study Notebook on lds.org, since that is where the highlights and tags from your mobile device sync. But you're saying that you can't view it. That doesn't make sense to me.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dmoster

Native Desktop Gospel Library Application

Post by dmoster »

I love the lds.org scripture study applications, and am a dedicated user of Gospel Library for iOS. I would love it, though, if some amalgamation of the two were made available for offline use on Mac/PC. I don't have a ton of experience with programming myself, but using something like Xcode to port the iPad Gospel Library app seems like it would be a relatively simple start.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

aebrown wrote:Could you help us understand what the problem is? You said that you noticed that the highlights and tags are syncing back and forth. I would have thought that you could only see that if you went to My Study Notebook on lds.org, since that is where the highlights and tags from your mobile device sync. But you're saying that you can't view it. That doesn't make sense to me.
The Android version of Gospel Library does not yet have integrated tags and notebooks like the Study Notebook on lds.org. A future release of the app will allow users to see their notebooks from the lds.org Study Notebook as well as the ability to add tags. Until that time, users will need to organize and tag their annotations on lds.org.
Jason Hyer
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

micenuts wrote:I have really enjoyed using this app good job and thank you.
But I have some ideas to help add features and especially when studying from my Android tablet

1. It would be nice to do multiple highlights using the different colors. Example say I would like to highlight the vision\story of the tree of light one color but then there are certain versus\sentences I would like to highlight a different color and annotations.

2. Custom links - It would be nice to be able to build custom links to different scriptures and content in the applicant ensign and study materials.

3. When in Gospel doctrine and other classes I have teachers that do a really good job of making study handouts and other material they pass around before there lessons that relate to a section of scriptures. It would be really nice to be able to use the camera and take a picture of the handout and then link or attach it to those scriptures so when studying those latter I could click on the link or attachment and it would bring up that handout.

4. It would be really nice in the study tools if you could add all the churches pictures and images to the list so they could be downloaded and then you could create links from scriptures to certain pictures. You can categorize the pictures so you can pic and choose what ones you would like to download.

Thanks for you time and talents
Please be aware that we have limitations in the app that we have no control over. For the annotations and links, we can only do what can be done on LDS.org. If we were to introduce features such as multiple colors or custom links before they are available on lds.org, we would have no way to sync them and we won't step ahead of lds.org on that type of development. We do appreciate your suggestions and I personally think they are great ideas but until such items are allowed by lds.org, we are unable to add them to the app.
Jason Hyer
brucerjohns

Any update?

Post by brucerjohns »

I notice the last response to queries about when custom links might be available on the LDS.org site, was months ago. Any movement since toward making those available for the online scriptures?
dammonburden

Post by dammonburden »

I think these types of things are getting closer, but, might still be a little ways out as the church expands the infrastructure and as we get more volunteers to help out programming etc.
portersb

Post by portersb »

micenuts wrote:1. It would be nice to do multiple highlights using the different colors. Example say I would like to highlight the vision\story of the tree of light one color but then there are certain versus\sentences I would like to highlight a different color and annotations.

Actually, you can do this, but I do not think it is meant to work: you need to start your highlight outside of the content which is already highlighted, then drag the selectors over the content you want to cover with the second color.
karlifullmer

Re: Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Post by karlifullmer »

Please add save to external sd card functionality....its a must to save space on our phone/tablet memory.......

Return to “Android Gospel Library”