Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by lajackson »

jaycenornin wrote:I don't want to harass anyone, but at this point - who do I have to harass to get some kind of official response as to why Windows development is being blocked?
To answer your question, these decisions are made by priesthood leaders. The proper channel to communicate would be through your bishop to your stake president, where he can go to the chairman of his coordinating council, who would contact the Presidency of the Seventy, and so on.

If you receive a response you are allowed to share, please do so.

Tech.lds.org has nothing at all to do with developing these programs.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Tech.lds.org has nothing at all to do with developing these programs.
Eh, I'd say we have nothing to do with authorizing them. That's where the current problem is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'd say we have nothing to do with authorizing them. That's where the current problem is.
Fair enough. Yes, it is evident there are folks here willing to develop them as soon as the Church is ready to authorize the project.
jaycenornin

Post by jaycenornin »

Part of what really bothers me is that there *was* a project for Windows Phone. The app exists and is still available in the store. Perhaps it has always been a closed project, someone who's been active here longer than me could address whether it was ever a community project (Windows Mobile was a community project). But the fact is that the project was at one time authorized and now it *appears* no longer to be. Maybe there's good reason, but since nobody's sharing the reason I'm a little irked. I'm a little more irked that independent developers (joe_coolish) aren't even getting authorization to use the basic API for developing an independent app.

The app does have an e-mail address for sending comments and suggestions (gospellibrary-wp). I've written to it once before, but never received a response.

Maybe a bit more on the productive side of the conversation, if the Priesthood is in charge of authorizing this project, perhaps we should band together as members to fast and pray for them to get the revelation to do so?
extdrive

Post by extdrive »

Wow its up on the store now. YAY!
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

I'll start walking the priesthood chain up, I don't see any problem getting past my stake president level.

I'm also requesting copyright access to the gospel library API.

I think we can also take it from the e-reader angle. The church distributes the scriptures in an e-reader format, including an HTML format that would be easy to parse and work with. We can write a scripture reader supports one of those formats but doesn't actually include it. Make sense?
jaycenornin

Post by jaycenornin »

Judging by the release of the Windows 8 app that extdrive just reported, I think it's safe to say that it, and probably the Windows Phone apps, are still active but closed-source projects. It would've been nice if someone inside could have told us as much, but maybe they had to sign NDAs or something.

I've downloaded the Win8 app and they went an interesting direction with it. The side-scrolling and layout are very tablet-centric. It comes with the standard works pre-loaded, but additional material (i.e. General Conference) must be downloaded and there is not (yet) a "Download all" button so downloading back to 1971 can take a few clicks. It's definitely still a work in progress, but its existence shows that there is progress!
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

I am so glad the app just got released. Works great on the Surface RT. I hope it gets improved on to be more like the IOS version with page numbers, especially in the manuals. That way when I get called on to read on the top of page 121 I will know where that is! Also I hope the hymns become like the IOS version where it looks like an actual hymnal versus just the song text. I really hope it doesn't end up like the WP version that doesn't have these things after a very long time being in production.
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

Great app! I love it! I'd love to get involved if I can. Where do I sign up?
jaycenornin

Post by jaycenornin »

joe_coolish wrote:Great app! I love it! I'd love to get involved if I can. Where do I sign up?
I know, right?

Return to “Mobile Development”