Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
Eric84

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by Eric84 »

Wow Great news!
bain4111

Post by bain4111 »

It is a great start. The one big deficiency that I see is bookmarks. The history feature would work for that if it were at the verse level.
fomh

Post by fomh »

It is unclear if these references to Windows 8 refers to mobile/phone or the desktop/tablet O.S. versions.
As a recent convert to a Windows 8 Tablet (not RT) I am more than a little anxious for a full set of tools whose functions are fully inclusive of the Android and Apple offerings.
TarrySmith

Post by TarrySmith »

The new app works just the way l want-except for hymns & children'S songbook! I'd really like the sheet music.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

fomh wrote:It is unclear if these references to Windows 8 refers to mobile/phone or the desktop/tablet O.S. versions.
As a recent convert to a Windows 8 Tablet (not RT) I am more than a little anxious for a full set of tools whose functions are fully inclusive of the Android and Apple offerings.
These references are to Windows 8 (Tablet/PC) not Windows Phone 8.
camaramanoel

Post by camaramanoel »

Anyone else having problems on Win8 x86 at startup? I have been able to install and run well on an RT tablet, but cannot start the app on three different Win 8 x86 devices. Thoughts? Guidance? Do we have an issue with x86 architecture not yet documented?
camaramanoel

Post by camaramanoel »

BTW, I work at Microsoft and have lots of access to MANY machines. I would be happy to help test/validate some of these early builds, thought it doesn't seem like this app has been croudsourced...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

camaramanoel wrote:Anyone else having problems on Win8 x86 at startup? I have been able to install and run well on an RT tablet, but cannot start the app on three different Win 8 x86 devices. Thoughts? Guidance? Do we have an issue with x86 architecture not yet documented?
I thought x86 and RT were different OS? And what while it was easy to develop for both, they were still separate?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
avrich

Post by avrich »

Fantastic that a Win8 App is finally here! It's mostly a novelty item right now as serious study tools are absent (no Highlights, Notes, Tags, sync w/ personal LDS.org annotations, page numbering, etc), so I can't quite replace my IOS iPad version just yet. But this is a wonderful start! I hope active development remains a priority -- it would greatly help, I'm sure, if the download counter was in the tens-of-thousands... at least. Thanks!
Eric84

Post by Eric84 »

russellhltn wrote:
camaramanoel wrote:Anyone else having problems on Win8 x86 at startup? I have been able to install and run well on an RT tablet, but cannot start the app on three different Win 8 x86 devices. Thoughts? Guidance? Do we have an issue with x86 architecture not yet documented?
I thought x86 and RT were different OS? And what while it was easy to develop for both, they were still separate?
It is working great on my family's Dell Inspiron all in one x86 PC and on my surface RT tablet. I wonder if uninstalling the app and reinstalling it would make a difference?

As far as different OS's goes Russell, this is my understanding (though I'm not a real developer). If the app is written for the windows store using the new development model for windows 8 it should run on any tablet, laptop, or desktop running Windows RT, Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro whether it has an ARM processor or x86 processor. That doesn't mean, however, that testing doesn't need to take place, to some extent at least on different devices with different resolutions etc.

I think you are thinking of the difference between phone development and tablet/laptop/desktop development. The phone api's are a little different. That is where a lot of the coding could be reused but some api calls would have to be changed to match those of the phone (or vice-versa). Supposedly this is going to be improving though with the phone being more and more compatible with the full windows platform and possibly gaining an converged store at some point. As of now there is one store for phones and one store for everything else within the Windows ecosystem, where Apple has one store for phones/tablets and a separate store for laptops/desktops.

Return to “Mobile Development”