Page 2 of 19

What can we do to speed up Windows 8 adoption

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:53 pm
by ksaunder
It pains me to see no news about Gospel Library for Windows 8. There is no question that millions of people will be using Windows 8 in a very short amount of time. I too have been using Windows 8 on a tablet for a year now (since the developer preview days) and Gospel Library is the one thing I miss the most. I am an active (albeit still learning) Windows 8 developer and would love to assist in any way possible. It would be a shame to not have a Gospel Library app for Windows 8 close to its launch.

What can we do to encourage the church to actively begin work on Windows 8?

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:59 am
by aebrown
ksaunder wrote:It pains me to see no news about Gospel Library for Windows 8. There is no question that millions of people will be using Windows 8 in a very short amount of time. I too have been using Windows 8 on a tablet for a year now (since the developer preview days) and Gospel Library is the one thing I miss the most. I am an active (albeit still learning) Windows 8 developer and would love to assist in any way possible. It would be a shame to not have a Gospel Library app for Windows 8 close to its launch.

What can we do to encourage the church to actively begin work on Windows 8?
I've reminded David Staheli of his commitment to post an update to this thread. He's in the best position to comment on any plans in this area.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am
by aebrown
aebrown wrote:I've reminded David Staheli of his commitment to post an update to this thread. He's in the best position to comment on any plans in this area.
I just heard back from David. He's not in a position to make any announcements right now, but you can rest assured that the issue has not been dropped. You'll just have to be patient to hear what, when, how, etc. when the Church is ready to announce their plans in this area.
ksaunder wrote:What can we do to encourage the church to actively begin work on Windows 8?

There's really nothing more you can do at this point (but thanks for raising the issue here on the LDSTech Forum). The Church is certainly aware of Windows 8 and will announce what it is doing in this area when it is ready.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 pm
by ksaunder
Thank you for inquiring about this and giving an update on the current status. I am glad to hear that Windows 8 is at least on the radar and will be anxiously awaiting any further news.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:04 pm
by npmiller57
any development on this? we are just over a week away from the official Win8 release and I would love to have my gospel library on my MS Surface.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:45 pm
by russellhltn
I would imagine that most of the developers who would be working on this project are getting their devices at the same time as they become available to the general public.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 pm
by npmiller57
Probably so but devs should have access to the tools necessary to build and test their apps... Would really love to have this app within a few weeks of getting my Surface. :)

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 pm
by lajackson
npmiller57 wrote:Probably so but devs should have access to the tools necessary to build and test their apps... Would really love to have this app within a few weeks of getting my Surface. :)

Since the developers are volunteers such as you and me, I suspect that about the time you get your MS Surface, some of them may buy one for their personal use. And if they do, I am sure they will begin developing the app at that time.

Windows 8?

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:12 am
by msheets
I just upgraded to Windows 8 today and was sorely disappointed to find that there are no apps yet on here by the Church... :( Especially when you look at all that Microsoft is doing to make this process painless and low-cost.

Somehow I hadn't thought about the fact that I could potentially have LDS Tools and Gospel Library on my LAPTOP. When I realized that this morning after upgrading to Windows 8 I made a beeline to my laptop only to find that there was NOTHING produced. I would have used both of these tools multiple times TODAY had they been there. I truly hope that these products are given top priority as users are going to be increasing steadily on this Mainstream platform. The number of Windows 8 users, both on laptop/PCs and mobile devices is going to steadily increase, not decrease and I truly hope to see these products soon. They have left a painfully obvious hole for me.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:42 am
by msheets
Just to add to my previous comments, READ THE FOLLOWING: PRE-sales for Windows 8 have been FORTY PERCENT higher than pre-sales for Windows 7. Windows 8 had already brought in a little under 800 MILLION in pre-sales nearly a week before the actual release! (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/ ... y-earnings). How we are even discussing WebOS totally eludes me when we are barely glancing at Windows, the behemoth that has influence in every part of the world. Another article for thought on numbers: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411443,00.asp. I hope that we can get moving on this. Two days ago. Or maybe even two months ago.