Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
derekjneill

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by derekjneill »

Just got my Asus VivoTab Smart tablet, which runs full Windows 8, and was extremely disappointed that there was no LDS gospel library app. Squeaky wheel...engage.
tmortensenii

Post by tmortensenii »

I have the Lenovo Yoga on which I also installed Office 2010. With One note and windows 8 I have been able to get rid of the notebooks that I used to drag around with me. I really like the Gospel Library for my Lumia 920, but would love to have the gospel library on my Yoga as well. So count me as another requester. I have dabbled in Programming and began learning programming for Windows Phone 7.5 and applying that knowledge to a Windows 8 Metro style App. Hopefully the Church will jump on this soon if possible, although I understand limited resources and all.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Unless I'm wrong, the limited resources may not be 100% the reason for them starting development of a Win8/RT app. It has been communicated that once a project starts, volunteer member programmers will help build it. I know it will require time & energy from church I.T. staff, as well as long-term support. But mu impression is that the bulk of the hours spent building the app will actually not be the Church's I.T. staff, but instead volunteer members. The church however would of course oversee/direct its creation, do Q.A. testing & get it published in the app store. I could be wrong, but this is my impression.
riceboyler

Post by riceboyler »

I have been watching this thread since November when I got my Samsung ATIV Smart PC(full Win8 tablet) and have seen nothing but disappointment. While the 3rd party apps like Margins are a nice alternative, there is nothing like the fully supported official apps like Gospel Library and LDS Tools.

I have started developing a couple of Windows Store apps (Hymns and Duty To God), so I would be happy to help with development as well. There are many who want to help for this platform, so I really struggle to understand why there is such a great delay.
RonDarling

Post by RonDarling »

In addition what disappoints me, speaking as a Sunday school president who has a windows Surface Pro, is the new Come Follow Me curriculum would be available to download in Gospel Library, but as it's not available to windows 8 devices, other teachers in our ward and I can not utilize that resource and with our chapel Wifi proving to be unreliable so far with the new traffic, we instead end up printing our lessons.
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

+1 would be great to get an official response from the church on this.
cgallred

Post by cgallred »

I'm a stake clerk with a Surface RT, and want to add my vote to getting LDS Tools and Gospel Library for Windows 8. I know others in my stake with Windows 8 tablets who are also hoping for these apps for Win 8.
rtolbert

Post by rtolbert »

Please support the growing population of Windows 8 Tablet users and develop these fantastic apps for us. I use a Microsoft Surface Pro, and love it. These tools can't come soon enough! I'd be willing to pay for them.
rowilli

Post by rowilli »

I as well have the Surface Pro and all that is missing are the awesome LDS Apps
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I suspect it will be some time while Church IT reviews acceptance of the Windows 8 Surface platforms. According to this article, Microsoft is already starting to worry about its adoption in the face of iOS.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/ ... rs-tactics

Return to “Mobile Development”