Household coordinates part of member record?

Beta testing of maps.lds.org
failproof

Household coordinates part of member record?

Post by failproof »

Are the household long/lat coordinates part of the membership record? Or in other words, what I am really asking: Is there a reason that the Ward Website Administrator is not allowed to correct household coordinates and place families on the correct home on the map? It is not changing the address, name, or any other information that one would normally see on the membership record, it is just correcting the longitude and latitude for that family so they show on the house that they really do live in.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I am fairly certain they are not, as I've never seen them on the record. Here are some reasons why the website admin might not be given the ability to verify addresses.
  • While your ward may want the change, not all wards may want a Ward Website Admin to verify the coordinates, due to who may hold the calling. Having a bishopric member responsible for it may be far more comfortable for many leaders, and allow more flexibility in who they call as a website admin.
  • It seems the permissions are opened up gradually, rather than broadly all at once. If I'm remembering, at one time only a ward clerk could verify an address, now the whole expanded bishopric can. We've seen this with almost every application. A few have rights, and these are later expanded.
  • The developers may not have received enough feedback to warrant a change, or have the time or resources to implement any changes in the rights. Have you sent feedback?
failproof

Post by failproof »

I sort of thought this was the feedback :)
I attended the LDS Tech conference several weeks ago and the feeling I got from them is that this forum was as good if not better for feedback on website/tools/applications. Not only do we get to hash out the pros and cons of a suggestion as a community, but the developers can then see all the responses and suggestions about a particular issue/request in one place.

Just my 2 cents about flexibility in who is called as a website administrator or any other calling... whether a particular calling has access to do one thing or another on LDS.org (and it's many new and wonderful tools) shouldn't be a part of whether a particular calling can be extended to one person or another. Isn't that up to the Lord to decide and inspire the bishop or other priesthood leader on who should be called? :) Just saying.

I've read several posts tonight about the work required of clerks to keep keep the map correct, and if verifying who lives in what particular house on the map has nothing to do with the membership record, why not allow other website administrative type duties to be done by a ward website administrator. Let the clerk verify the address and other membership record information as they should, but let the website administrator keep stuff on the website up to date that isn't specific to MLS or other membership record databases. With the changes in Directory, Calendar, etc. on LDS.org, the Ward Website Administrator has fewer and fewer responsibilities. Why not give a few back to him with some of the new tools rather than put those new responsibilities on Clerks? Just one website administrators suggestion... (always looking for ways to magnify my calling, and that gets more challenging with fewer things to administrate)
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

kisaac wrote:
  • It seems the permissions are opened up gradually, rather than broadly all at once. If I'm remembering, at one time only a ward clerk could verify an address, now the whole expanded bishopric can. We've seen this with almost every application. A few have rights, and these are later expanded.
Actually, the permissions for this particular task are not expanding, but contracting. Until the most recent release, ward finance clerks were empowered to verify and move locations. But no longer.
erinbourgeous
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erinbourgeous »

failproof wrote: I've read several posts tonight about the work required of clerks to keep keep the map correct, and if verifying who lives in what particular house on the map has nothing to do with the membership record, why not allow other website administrative type duties to be done by a ward website administrator.
Thanks for the feedback, but the lat/long of a household is a part of the membership record and it is the membership clerk's job to maintain that.
Erin Bourgeous
Quality Assurance Engineer, LDS Church
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RossEvans wrote:Actually, the permissions for this particular task are not expanding, but contracting. Until the most recent release, ward finance clerks were empowered to verify and move locations. But no longer.
I'm wondering if this is the problem I'm having with getting the markers to stick on the map. I can move and place them, then Submit and the marker is in place. The next time I check the marker has gone!!!

I have set the visibility of my test subject, my assistant clerk, to visible to - Private - Leadership Only. As I'm in the UK, most members are by default set to private.

I'm the Ward Clerk and the STS in our Stake.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Biggles wrote:I'm wondering if this is the problem I'm having with getting the markers to stick on the map. I can move and place them, then Submit and the marker is in place. The next time I check the marker has gone!!!

I have set the visibility of my test subject, my assistant clerk, to visible to - Private - Leadership Only. As I'm in the UK, most members are by default set to private.

I'm the Ward Clerk and the STS in our Stake.
I doubt this is the same issue. Ward finance clerks were deliberately dropped from the privilege list. I believe it was announced on the release notes or some other authoritative comment.

Perhaps there is something weird going on in your particular case because you hold two callings.
erinbourgeous
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erinbourgeous »

Biggles wrote:I'm wondering if this is the problem I'm having with getting the markers to stick on the map. I can move and place them, then Submit and the marker is in place. The next time I check the marker has gone!!!
The problem you are having is because the households are set to private. The locations should be stored correctly, but there's a bug related to the subsequent request for the lat/long of private households. The simplest way to test this would be mapping or moving a public household marker and seeing if that change sticks.
Erin Bourgeous
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

erinbourgeous wrote:The problem you are having is because the households are set to private. The locations should be stored correctly, but there's a bug related to the subsequent request for the lat/long of private households. The simplest way to test this would be mapping or moving a public household marker and seeing if that change sticks.
Please be patient with me! Referring to my original post on this problem. Link below :-

https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... -Locations

I'm still trying to understand why, when the Beta Maps first came online, I was able to do all the verification etc. not only for my own Ward, but the majority of the Stake as well. This function seemed, for me, to cease about 4 -6 weeks ago. Hence my question about privileges having changed. Now I can only move & verify a public household marker. That function is working fine.

Does this mean that for me to be able to set the markers on all the houses marked as private , it will be necessary to temporarily make them public to carry out that function?

Any further insight will be most welcome.
erinbourgeous
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erinbourgeous »

Biggles wrote:I'm still trying to understand why, when the Beta Maps first came online, I was able to do all the verification etc. not only for my own Ward, but the majority of the Stake as well. This function seemed, for me, to cease about 4 -6 weeks ago. Hence my question about privileges having changed. Now I can only move & verify a public household marker. That function is working fine.
Since then we have released an updated version and have introduced a bug that will affect your ability to view/edit private households. If you can view the household list for all members (public and private) then your permissions should not have changed and the problems you are having are related to the private household bug.
Erin Bourgeous

Return to “Beta Maps”