viewing other ward calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jrobertfisher wrote:\We should be able to setup reservations without the requirement of going through the Stake Executive Secretary each time.
It sounds like you are not using the full capabilities of the calendar if you are "going through" an individual to schedule your stake center building. Stakes have the option to allow or not allow building scheduling on a "per building" basis. They could allow some buildings to be scheduled by calendar users, or all buildings, or no buildings. It's entirely possible that your stake allows wards in other buildings to schedule online, but have not allowed the stake center to be scheduled on-line. It's also possible that the building is able to be scheduled, but the stake (having the Exec sec. or clerk acting as a building scheduler) has placed "reservations" over some or all of the resources, also eliminating the ability for anyone not specifically allowed to schedule time, allowing them more control. As suggested earlier, note the difference in the help files and training videos between scheduling events and making reservations.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

It could also be your stake leaders way of dealing with areas they didn't want to allow to be scheduled, such as the High Council room, Baptismal font, etc., so they just haven't yet allowed online scheduling.
colbyj

Viewing other ward calendars within the stake

Post by colbyj »

I am checking back to see if there is a way for stake leaders to view ward calendars across the stake via lds.org. With the old system, it was fairly simple to click on a given ward and then be able to view that ward's calendar. The new system only permits you to view your home ward, along with stake calendar(s)...but not navigate to other ward calendars. Even as a stake administrator (stake clerk), I am not able to access other ward calendars. This makes it difficult for stake leaders to view different ward activities posted on ward calendars.

any solution?
thank you,
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

There is no change since you started this thread.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
colbyj

Post by colbyj »

thank you... is there any plan at all, or some work-around solution perhaps? Has anyone found a way around this? What is the hangup in not creating a way for all members of a stake to view other ward calendars within the stake? I understand not allowing just anyone to edit a given calendar, but not having the ability to view our different ward calendars creates problems for stake leaders, rather than helping. Any idea if this is in the works? thank you
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: The new posts on this topic have now been merged back into the current thread on this topic -- starting a new thread just splits up the discussion and is not productive. If you want this thread to get new attention, please post to it, instead of starting a new thread on the exact same topic.]
colbyj wrote:is there any plan at all, or some work-around solution perhaps? Has anyone found a way around this?
For many purposes, you can follow the advice in the thread Can you access another ward's calendar in the stake?, and view the events at a location using Week view. I certainly understand that this doesn't give you everything you want, but it's the best workaround at this point.
colbyj wrote:What is the hangup in not creating a way for all members of a stake to view other ward calendars within the stake?

I don't see why you assume there is some sort of "hangup"; this feature is not yet implemented. There are many requests, and far fewer developers than can implement every requested feature. So there has to be some prioritization, and this request has not risen to the top of the priority list.
colbyj wrote: I understand not allowing just anyone to edit a given calendar, but not having the ability to view our different ward calendars creates problems for stake leaders, rather than helping.

To my knowledge, no one has ever said or implied that the lack of a feature for stake leaders to view ward calendars was intended to "help"; rather, it is simply a feature that has not yet been implemented.
colbyj wrote:Any idea if this is in the works?

When you previously asked this question, I directed you here and here to look at this post, which shows that the feature is indeed on the backlog. You might reasonably be curious about the priority of the feature request (which I have no idea about, nor does anyone outside the developers and product managers), but the question of whether it is on the backlog has been asked and answered.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I understand not allowing just anyone to edit a given calendar, but not having the ability to view our different ward calendars creates problems for stake leaders, rather than helping.
The over-riding philosophy from the development team was that Wards have complained in the past that they couldn't do some functions because the 'stake' hadn't done their part, so the developers chose to support a ward-centric view of their solutions, rather than a stake-centric view - to the extent that in many cases stakes are unable to view/add/access online apps at the ward level.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Ktwitchell001

Re: viewing other ward calendars

Post by Ktwitchell001 »

I'm posting my comment here that this is a serious flaw in the calendar implementation in the hopes that doing so may help affect prioritization of an enhancement.
genman

Post by genman »

Ktwitchell001 wrote:I'm posting my comment here that this is a serious flaw in the calendar implementation in the hopes that doing so may help affect prioritization of an enhancement.
Posting here will likely have minimal to no effect on prioritization, IMO. If it is a serious enough of an issue, you are much more likely to get the prioritization changed if you can convince your local Priesthood leaders who hold keys (e.g. Bishop and/or Stake President) to raise the issue as a serious one with the Area Authority. Not too many "serious flaws" warrant that kind of attention from Priesthood leaders, though. If you feel like you would be bothering them with it, then it probably means it isn't that critical.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ktwitchell001 wrote:I'm posting my comment here that this is a serious flaw in the calendar implementation in the hopes that doing so may help affect prioritization of an enhancement.
Note that you can already see when other units are using a building. So you're going to have to come up with a argument that you need to see the actual activities.

And as others have noted, the best way is to have the stake president take it up with the area authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”