How to recommend the naming of townships in article titles?

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

How should we recommend users name townships within article titles?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Wayne Township, Passaic County, New Jersey
No votes
17%
8%
17%
33%
25%

Total votes: 12

RitcheyMT

Post by RitcheyMT »

Thomas_Lerman wrote:RicheyMT, is this poll asking about townships, counties, or both? Another poll covers the counties. The poll answers seem like they would get dilluted.
Yes, it has gotten diluted. I'll probably eliminate the options that got few votes and re-poll.
RitcheyMT

Post by RitcheyMT »

The Earl wrote:Agree.

The full name should include the county and state.
Wayne, Wayne County, New York.
Including the county makes it unnecessary to include the 'township' label abbreviated or not.

Do you know of any examples of townships crossing county lines?
How many TWP articles do you anticipate?
Do you anticipate more TWP records in other countries (England)?
I disagree that including the county makes it unnecessary to include the "Township" label. As Jimmy mentioned, a township is a different records jurisdiction than a town. A township is usually a jurisdiction larger than a town but smaller than a county. Many townships share their name with one of the larger towns within its borders, so leaving out the label "Township" when in fact you're referring to the township is misleading to the user, who needs to know which jurisdiction the record is in.

In answer to your question of volume, there are probably around 3000 counties in the U.S. I'm guessing the number of townships is geometrically larger.
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

I find this poll, the dilution, and the comparison to other polls rather interesting.
  1. In Poll: How to recommend naming of counties in article titles?, it was 8 in favor of adding "County", 3 against, 0 showing no county name.
  2. In Poll: How to recommend naming a town within an article title?, this same question could be read as 4 with "County", 6 without, and 2 showing no county name. This is quite different than the first.
  3. In the poll for this thread, one could read the same question as 4 for, 6 against, and 2 showing no county name. Again, this is opposite of the first.
Like I said, I find that interesting. Maybe it is one of those situations that 90% of all statistics can say just what I want it to say 50% of the time?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Thomas_Lerman wrote:Like I said, I find that interesting. Maybe it is one of those situations that 90% of all statistics can say just what I want it to say 50% of the time?
What are we doing posting at this hour? Are all of us insomniacs?
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

ritcheymt wrote:I disagree that including the county makes it unnecessary to include the "Township" label. As Jimmy mentioned, a township is a different records jurisdiction than a town. A township is usually a jurisdiction larger than a town but smaller than a county. Many townships share their name with one of the larger towns within its borders, so leaving out the label "Township" when in fact you're referring to the township is misleading to the user, who needs to know which jurisdiction the record is in.
Ok, I agree with adding the township label.

I understand that there are a lot of townships, but how many will need an article? Any guesses?

Thanks
The Earl

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”