Windows 7 Computers running XP version 2002 SP3

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
sbrookfowler

Windows 7 Computers running XP version 2002 SP3

Post by sbrookfowler »

Our stake recently received a number of Dell Optiplex 580 computers that state "Windows 7" but when I check the properties it tells me they are running "Windows XP Professional version 2002, Service Pack 3". Since they are all the same, I assume this is intentional, but I'm curious as to why. Is there a conflict between MLS and Windows 7?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

None that has been reported here. Many people are using MLS win Win7.

You might want to check the manufacture date on the computers. They might have been sitting awhile in the FM group's office. Or perhaps Dell put the wrong image on the disk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I received new computers (12) in 2010, they all came with XP but had Windows 7 licensing, I've upgraded a couple using the license keys on the computer, I haven't seen any issues. I'm just finishing up a cloning utility to rebuild the rest of them.
rgme

Post by rgme »

I had the same issue last year. We installed Windows 7 using the license key found on the computer. You can use any Win7 Pro installation media, or you can make your own universal installation media, as I mentioned in a post here.

I know it's a bit of a headache to install a new OS on top of everything else. I wish they didn't come downgraded.

Good luck!
sbrookfowler

Post by sbrookfowler »

Thanks for the replies. Our computers were manufactured in Feb. 2011 and they do have on the side of the casing the product key for Windows 2007 Pro. I guess it is up to us to upgrade if we choose to. As you can probably tell, I"m not the IT guy for our stake, but I'm going to pass along what I've learned. Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbrookfowler wrote:Thanks for the replies. Our computers were manufactured in Feb. 2011 and they do have on the side of the casing the product key for Windows 2007 Pro. I guess it is up to us to upgrade if we choose to. As you can probably tell, I"m not the IT guy for our stake, but I'm going to pass along what I've learned. Thanks!
I would also note that in yesterday's webinar, Brian Fromm covered this exact situation and said that if you need a Windows 7 installation disc, you can contact the Global Service Center, and they'll get one to you.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It would be convenient if they would provide an .iso to burn.... faster than waiting for GSC to ship something out.
WillWatkins

Post by WillWatkins »

Our stake just received optiplex 580 computers that DO HAVE win 7. My problem: I can't seem to find setup instructions for win 7. The instructions posted at mls.lds.org and the instructions on the wiki refer to XP only. Am I missing something?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

WillWatkins wrote:Our stake just received optiplex 580 computers that DO HAVE win 7. My problem: I can't seem to find setup instructions for win 7. The instructions posted at mls.lds.org and the instructions on the wiki refer to XP only. Am I missing something?
No, you're not. They are drafting instructions to be posted later. When later is we do not know. For now you can use the instructions provided but adapted for Windows 7. For example the name of the computer should still be LU-XXXXX, where XXXXX is your unit number without the leading zeros.

Others in these forums have set up Windows 7 machines and may provide some help if needed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WillWatkins wrote:Our stake just received optiplex 580 computers that DO HAVE win 7. My problem: I can't seem to find setup instructions for win 7. The instructions posted at mls.lds.org and the instructions on the wiki refer to XP only. Am I missing something?

Nope. But if you email support, they can probably provide you with the draft instructions for Win 7.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”