Divorced, Dual-Custody, Non-member Children Live with Non-Member Spouse.

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

adoga wrote:Since they're over-age, they're not a member of record. If they're not a member of record then what are they?
Their record is called a linked record.

Even though they are not members of record, Handbook 1 provides guidance on handling these individuals. As has been stated their records are treated much the same as a member of record. How they are fellowshipped, contacted, or taught the Gospel is determined by the leaders in whose boundaries they reside. Giving those leaders as much information about their situation will help avoid unfavorable situations and make future contact a possibility.
adoga wrote:I'm not sure how to explain this to the Husband so that he can explain it to the X-Wife why members of the church are calling her about her child. I want it to go well and not misspeak.
Communication with the gaining unit can deter clumsy situations. It would not hurt for the member father to also talk to the gaining bishop(s).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Their record is called a linked record.

Not really. The children in this case actually have a membership record that resides in a ward, whereas a Linked Record is not a record that can ever be in a ward. A linked record has an MRN that may appear on other records, but a linked record can only reside at CHQ.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
adoga

Post by adoga »

aebrown wrote:Not really. The children in this case actually have a membership record that resides in a ward, whereas a Linked Record is not a record that can ever be in a ward. A linked record has an MRN that may appear on other records, but a linked record can only reside at CHQ.
Thank you both. I believe there will be a happy ending to all this as a result of transferring, not removing, these "linked" records. I appreciate the support you provide here! have a great week.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Not to fork the thread, but I think it's confusing to have MRN's associated with linked records. In other words, I think only those with membership records should have MRN's (or at least a number in a different format - readily recognizable as not a normal membership record).

We had one case where a sister had two adopted daughters listed on her membership record. I naively thought they must have membership records because their mother's record showed them with MRN's, and they were just somehow split up. I tried to request them only to receive a message from CHQ that their records didn't exist.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

greggo wrote:Not to fork the thread, but I think it's confusing to have MRN's associated with linked records. In other words, I think only those with membership records should have MRN's (or at least a number in a different format - readily recognizable as not a normal membership record).
I'm not sure how linked records are formatted, but you might want to read Temporary membership record which includes tips for identifying the MRN type.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm not sure how linked records are formatted, but you might want to read Temporary membership record which includes tips for identifying the MRN type.
There's no way to distinguish a linked record MRN from the MRN of a real membership record. Both use the same numbering scheme.

Temporary records, on the other hand, do use a different numbering scheme, so they can be distinguished simply by examining the MRN.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bamamoser

Re: Divorced, Dual-Custody, Non-member Children Live with No

Post by bamamoser »

On how to reference these members the Bishops Action and Interview list refers to them as Unbaptized members
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Divorced, Dual-Custody, Non-member Children Live with No

Post by russellhltn »

bamamoser wrote:On how to reference these members the Bishops Action and Interview list refers to them as Unbaptized members
Can you explain in a little more detail on what information you're looking for?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”