Suggested Software/utilities for Clerk Computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

JamesAnderson wrote:Almost everything the Church does uses Java...

Oh, the irony! lol
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

PDF-XChange Viewer (Tracker Software): It's free and very versatile. It allows you to mark up pdf files (comments, underlining, etc). If you're reading a file using this viewer and want to switch to Adobe Reader (sometimes better print quality), you just click the handy icon in the bottom-right corner. This is an excellent piece of software.

PDFTK Builder (Angus Johnson): This free software allows you to break apart or join together pdf files or pages from pdf files. Sometimes you want to put together a single report from several different pdf files. This is a great way to do it. When I was a ward clerk, I printed all the transmissions from CHQ (membership record transactions, etc.) to pdf, then joined them to an ever growing master pdf file, thereby giving me a searchable archive. I would save this to the MLS backup flash drive on occasion, along with the occasional CD, to make sure I never lost it. Saved a lot of paper. I kept it in a password protected folder to preserve privacy.

My Lockbox (Fspro Labs): This free software creates a password-protected folder. It's not hard to defeat if you know what you're doing, but for things that are not that critical that you want to keep away from curious monkeys using the ward computer, this is not a bad way to go. It's more secure than a sheet of paper in a binder on a bookshelf.

Web of Trust: This is a free extension for web browsers. It gives community-based safety ratings (malware, offensive content, etc.) to websites. When you run a web search, all results have a rating appended to them, so you have a good idea of what links to avoid. Very useful, if not ignored.

Burnaware Free ([url]http://www.burnaware.com):[/url] Great free CD/DVD writing software.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

Hi, I use for my pdf files “NITRO READER”
As what is written in their website www.nitroreader.comis it the only free PDF reader and creator. Create PDF files, collaborate and review, fill and saveforms, add txt to pages, Quicksign documents and more
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:Burnaware Free ([url]http://www.burnaware.com):[/url] Great free CD/DVD writing software.

Is that legal for use in a church setting? I see it's not allowed for commercial use, but I couldn't find a license without downloading the product.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It's probably important to remind everyone, Free isn't always Free. Context is important like in the scriptures, but like in the scriptures is often ignored by the consumer.

Many pieces of software are made available free for personal use. That is really for you on a personally owned device like a laptop or desktop. As long as you use it for personal purposes it remains free. When you install that software on a laptop or desktop owned by a company (like the church) it has different licensing requiring the church to pay money for it. The church is liable for software installed on computers it owns. Please read licensing carefully.

I've noted a couple of installs of Troop Master on our clerk computers. When that happens, I take the license information and forward it to ITAssetManagement@ldschurch.org

Please don't post defending your particular piece of software, the post was not intended to point at any single post as software that is out-of-bounds, only as an overall general reminder.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

ulupoi wrote:PDFTK Builder (Angus Johnson): This free software allows you to break apart or join together pdf files or pages from pdf files. Sometimes you want to put together a single report from several different pdf files. This is a great way to do it. When I was a ward clerk, I printed all the transmissions from CHQ (membership record transactions, etc.) to pdf, then joined them to an ever growing master pdf file, thereby giving me a searchable archive. I would save this to the MLS backup flash drive on occasion, along with the occasional CD, to make sure I never lost it. Saved a lot of paper. I kept it in a password protected folder to preserve privacy.
PDF Redirect also does this, and has the added benefit of allowing you to create a single PDF file from multiple applications/sessions. You can open your word processor, spreadsheet and MLS, print items from all of them into the PDF Redirect queue, drag in a few documents from other folders then when you close the print job they are all in a single pdf file, with or without encryption as desired.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

RussellHltn wrote:Is that legal for use in a church setting? I see it's not allowed for commercial use, but I couldn't find a license without downloading the product.
Here is the relevant text. I just use it at home. I don't think that the license would prevent you from using it at church...

1. GRANT OF LICENSE.
a) This program is free for non-commercial use and has no functional restrictions.
b) You may use the Software for your personal use at home or for use in educational, charity or humanitarian organisations.
c) You agree that you shall only use the Software and Documentation in a manner that complies with all applicable laws in the jurisdictions in which you use the Software and Documentation, including, but not limited to, applicable restrictions concerning copyright and other intellectual property rights.
d) You may not use the Software in an attempt to, or in conjunction with, any device, program or service designed to circumvent technological measures employed to control access to, or the rights in, a content file or other work protected by the copyright laws of any jurisdiction.
e) You may not distribute pre-installed or portable version of the Software.

Return to “Clerk Computers”