Sealing Cancelations

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
AlexCunning

Sealing Cancelations

Post by AlexCunning »

I was recently divorced and I am now thinking about remarrying someone in particular. I was wondering if there were any success stories on couples who were able to receive a cancelation in time to be sealed to their new spouse instead of going the route of a civil marriage first and a sealing later. It is really important for me to do it in this order. My ex husband left me and I had no part in wanting the divorce. If you have any other knowledge of the process I would really be pleased to hear it!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This is best discussed with your bishop. There may be information in Handbook 1, Stake Presidents and Bishops, [2010] as well as personal information that he may need to discuss with you.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

It all depends on your timing. I know a man who was married in the temple then was divorced a few years later. When he decided to marry again in the temple the engagement was about four-and-a-half months (and some of that time was spent obtaining the proper clearance from the First Presidency). I don't know if that's typical timing but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable wait to me. (It's just that, at first, they couldn't tell anyone their specific wedding date because they were waiting for the approval. Otherwise it seemed like a very typical engagement.) He did not have to have a civil marriage first with a sealing later. And, yes, he worked closely with his Bishop since before the divorce.

As stated, the Bishop is the one who can "get the ball rolling" on the necessary clearance so make your appointment right away.
surf40

Post by surf40 »

There are several forms to fill out, that your bishop must start, and the Stake Pres will endorse and mail to SLC. Also, the bishop will need a letter from your ex asking his/hers feelings about the sealing cancelation. This may take some time getting this all together. (don’t fret of your ex writing negative things about you, I’ve never seen it affect the cancelation).
The actual time for the FP to approve can be just a few weeks. It use to take a long time, and people would get tired of waiting and just get married civilly. Things are much faster now if all the paper work is done properly. As bishop I once called the FP office about a cancelation, and where it was in the process, and the nice lady said she would see if she could hurry it along. I called back a few days later and she said it was approved and in the mail!
nunzi47

Re: Sealing Cancelations

Post by nunzi47 »

My ex has been after me to get a cancellation. Finally I gave my report to my bishop and my ex did the same. My ex divorced me almost 13 years ago to marry someone else. His new wife is not a member. I have asked my bishop several times about hearing back and all he says is that it takes a long time. I know it has been close to a year. Does it take years??
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nunzi47 wrote:My ex has been after me to get a cancellation.
The decision for you to request a cancellation of your sealing is yours alone, and does not belong to your former spouse. There are certain blessings related to your sealing that continue for you even if the marriage does not last.

If you do request a cancellation, your former spouse is asked to supply a letter regarding his feelings, and it appears that this has taken place. What is unusual is that a request to cancel a sealing normally is not submitted until you are ready to be sealed to another worthy member in the temple.

Your bishop or stake president are in the best position to explain these things to you, and there are exceptions to what I have said. As for the timing of the process, there was a time when it took over two years to receive First Presidency approval. Today it sometimes happens within several months, unless there is an unusual aspect to the request, in which case a longer time is not unusual.

Your interviews with your bishop and stake president should have included discussions about these matters.

This is all beyond the scope of this forum. Only your priesthood leaders will be able to help you with these questions.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We can actually help you with the main question. NO, it should not take this long. Once all the paperwork is filled out and all parties have been contacted and allowed input, it is submitted to the 1st Presidency who consider it at their next meeting which will NOT be more than 2 weeks, unless it's in July when they are on Vacation.

The bishop should be able to walk you through the FORM, where they are in the process and what is the next step they are waiting on (it sounds like the Bishop has submitted it to the stake at this point). 1 Year is not acceptable and it means something has gotten dropped along the way. But whatever the cause, find out where it's stuck and get a meeting setup with either the Bishop or the SP to address it specifically. You might be served well by talking to someone in your ward that may have been through the same thing if you need someone to back you up when talking to those individuals.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:What is unusual is that a request to cancel a sealing normally is not submitted until you are ready to be sealed to another worthy member in the temple.
^ This.

Typicaly that's only done when the woman finds another worthy member - not the man.

This may be why it's taking so long.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danbartonsherwood

Post by danbartonsherwood »

I've got a question on this subject as well. After being divorced for 10 years I met a wonderful women who had also been divorced for 10 years. We both clearly got answers that we were each other's answers to prayers. I would not cancel my sealing but did receive a temple clearance to be sealed to my new fiancé who had requested and received a cancellation of her sealing after we were engaged. She said her bishop told her she could only receive permission from the first presidency one time to be sealed to someone else, which she received. Both of us held major callings in our respective wards, and because of such as well as our length of time being divorced, being worthy and certainly old enough to suggest we were not subject to youthful lack of wisdom, I suspect our requests were honored quickly in 6 weeks.

A few days after receiving her approval of the sealing cancellation and permission to be sealed to me, and my letter arriving with the approval to be specifically sealed to her, she changed her mind based on some relatively minor isssues. She had made such a big deal about waiting until the spirit confirmed I was qualified so that she was not left not being sealed to anyone, I feel terrible for her.

Is she able to receive permission again if she finds someone and is this a case by case basis looked at by the first presidency? Although I am surely dissapointed, I feel great concern and empathy for her and wondering where this leaves her? Thanks for any insights.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danbartonsherwood wrote:She said her bishop told her she could only receive permission from the first presidency one time to be sealed to someone else,
I see nothing like that in Handbook 1. I'm not sure where it's coming from.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”