Sealing Cancelations

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
johnshaw

Re: Sealing Cancelations

Post by johnshaw »

Yes, there is nothing like 'only one time' in any documentation and handbooks out there.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The only "one" I see is that a living woman can only be sealed to one man (at a time).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

danbartonsherwood wrote:Is she able to receive permission again . . .
Yes. Technically, her previous sealing was canceled. In the future, she may be sealed to someone else if all other requirements are met.
donaramirez1

Post by donaramirez1 »

What if the man and women were sealed, but are now divorced more than 14 years ago. Neither are married at this time. He talks to his ex-wife because he has found someone he would like to be sealed in the temple now; both are temple worthy.

At first, the former spouse was upset and said she would not share being sealed to the same man who wants to be sealed with another. Initially, she sounded willing to cancel their sealing, now out of anger states she is making ugly accusations from the past, says she will talk to her Bishop (even though she doesn't know who he is) and is not willing to write a letter to request a cancellation.

For the man, his bishop asked him to fill out the LDS form which will to go to the First Presidency, what is this form for? A cancellation of sealing or just permission to be sealed to another despite the first sealing? Can a cancellation of sealing be given to a man if the living ex-wife is no longer active and refuses to release him? Does a woman need to give her permission to her former sealed ex-spouse to be sealed to another woman who is temple worthy? Can a man be sealed again to another, despite being sealed to another even though she is still living but not active in the church?

Has anyone had a cancellation of sealing without her permission? Or just permission to be sealed to number 2???
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dshinsato wrote:For the man, his bishop asked him to fill out the LDS form which will to go to the First Presidency, what is this form for? A cancellation of sealing or just permission to be sealed to another despite the first sealing?
It's for permission from the First Presidency for the second sealing.

In looking at the directive in the Handbook (1: 3.6.1), it appears that permission from the first wife is not necessary, but that the First Presidency does want her input.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
donaramirez1

Post by donaramirez1 »

What type of input do they want from an ex-wife? What if she is very negative and makes allegations which are not true? What if she does not respond does that stop t
he process of the second sealing? Or can this cause a delay in the process?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

We don't know. We're not told.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

donaramirez1 wrote:What type of input do they want from an ex-wife? What if she is very negative and makes allegations which are not true? What if she does not respond does that stop the process of the second sealing? Or can this cause a delay in the process?
Some things may have changed, but based on my experience in a calling where I dealt with these issues, this is what I saw.

The letter from the former wife is intended for her to be able to share her feelings about the request with the Prophet. I recall that there are some specifics in the Application instructions, but I do not remember that they were much more than that.

The tone of her letter reflects mostly on her. Remember that the brother also has written a letter that includes the circumstances of the divorce. In my experience, it was rare for the sister to bring up anything that the brother had not already mentioned.

If she does not respond, the bishop explains in his letter that she was given the opportunity to write and did not. Her failure to write does not stop the process and almost never causes any delay other than to make certain she had the chance to provide her feelings about the request.

On very rare occasions, the stake president will be contacted and asked for additional information. But if the instructions on the Application to the First Presidency form have been followed, this almost never happens.

The First Presidency is well aware of the issues regarding the breakup of a marriage and the attempts to put lives and families back in order. The Application to the First Presidency, along with the letters required as a part of it, provide them the information they need to take these decisions to the Lord and obtain answers that will bless the lives of individual members and allow them to put their lives on track once again.

I only speak for myself based on my personal experiences in helping members go through this process. Following the instructions of the First Presidency on the Application and the process outlined in Handbook 1 are the most important keys to this difficult process.
claudiagreenmun

Post by claudiagreenmun »

What if a women wants to have a sealing cancellation due to remarriage but is marrying a non member?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

claudiagreenmun wrote:What if a women wants to have a sealing cancellation due to remarriage but is marrying a non member?
As far as I can tell, it's not required to have the sealing canceled.

Keep in mind that canceling the sealing cancels the blessings that goes with it. That's why women usually don't get a sealing cancellation until they're ready to be sealed to someone else.

Return to “General Discussions”