Sealing Cancelations

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jordankelly

Re: Sealing Cancelations

Post by jordankelly »

My fiance is sealed to her ex husband, they divorced 15 years ago due to his abusive nature. He passed away 3 years ago. Do we still need to get the sealing cancelled and how long does it take?
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

jordankelly wrote:My fiance is sealed to her ex husband, they divorced 15 years ago due to his abusive nature. He passed away 3 years ago. Do we still need to get the sealing cancelled and how long does it take?
She should meet with her bishop to find out what needs to be done.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jordankelly wrote:My fiance is sealed to her ex husband, ... Do we still need to get the sealing cancelled?
Yes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
karina2119

Post by karina2119 »

I am sealed to my husband and he has since passed away. I’d like to get married again and sealed to this new gentleman but I do not want to cancel my sealing to my deceased spouse. Can I do that?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

karina2119 wrote:I am sealed to my husband and he has since passed away. I’d like to get married again and sealed to this new gentleman but I do not want to cancel my sealing to my deceased spouse. Can I do that?
You should visit with your bishop.
MarkHedgepeth

Post by MarkHedgepeth »

My Fiancee was sealed to her spouse and teenage children in 2016. Husband left her not long after sealing (yes, she was devastated), then divorced her, and is remarried outside the Church. Her Bishop has received the response from her Ex and everything for her cancellation request looks favorable.

My history is more complex. Sealed to first wife and her 4-yr-old son at the time (26 yeas ago), she wanted out after a year. I filed for divorce. She remarried quickly and hasn't asked for a sealing cancellation ever since. I met second wife, got sealing clearance, married and had two daughters, after 22 years she wanted out (and yes, I was devastated). She filed for divorce and remarried six months ago and hasn't asked for a sealing cancellation.

I met my Fiancee who is a Temple Worker just like I had been before moving to Dallas, TX nine months ago. Turns out my Fiancee and I are the exact kind of spouses that we needed and always wanted. We're thankful for the tough experiences that have prepared us for each other and know that the Atonement worked for each of us independently before we met. My Bishop has received responses from both of my Exes that are favorable. Joint request is being submitted to First Presidency. I am fearful that there will be a waiting time response based on what I've been hearing. A marriage is needed soon because Fiancee has been blessed with a job transfer to Dallas, TX and we need to be a family for her daughter to relocate with us for high school. I'm struggling to make a decision about preparing for a civil marriage instead of a sealing believing that a civil marriage will cause a postponement for a sealing for a year. Any insights or suggestions from those who've experienced somewhat similar circumstances is appreciated. Seeking a sense of a possible time line and peace about what to prepare for.
Hedge
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

MarkHedgepeth wrote:Seeking a sense of a possible time line and peace about what to prepare for.
Have you talked with your bishop and stake president? They are the most appropriate people to answer this question.
georgen

Post by georgen »

I was divorced several years ago. Last year I received a letter from the First Presidency out of the blue stating that my sealing had been cancelled. In the letter it said that the First Presidency had reviewed all documentation from all involved parties. Guess what? I am definitely an involved party. However, I was not notified, nor was my Bishop, nor was my Stake President. I wrote a letter to Salt Lake City asking why their letter said I was contacted when in fact I wasn’t. I never got a response. But SLC did call my Bishop & confirmed that they had received my letter. My Stake President then explained that a woman can request a cancellation of sealing at anytime and that the man does not have to be notified.

So fast forward to now. I want to get resealed. My letter said I must get a sealing clearance even though my first sealing was canceled. So I started the process with my Bishop. All was going well until my Bishop said he had get a letter from my ex with her opinion on the matter. She canceled the original sealing. There is no connection regarding the Temple with her. Why would the church not require a man to be notified when a woman requests a cancellation, but then turn around and request the woman write a letter? This is very NOT equitable. To date my Bishop has not been able to produce the actual policy stating this must be done.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

georgen wrote:My letter said I must get a sealing clearance even though my first sealing was canceled.
This is correct, per Handbook 1: 3.7.1.2.

georgen wrote:All was going well until my Bishop said he had get a letter from my ex with her opinion on the matter.
This likely correct, but I can't verify it as it's part of the instructions for the application which I don't have access to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

georgen wrote:To date my Bishop has not been able to produce the actual policy stating this must be done.
While I cannot answer your question concerning equity, nor know why you were not contacted for a letter earlier, I do know that the requirement for a letter from the spouse is in the instructions for the Application to the First Presidency, which is why your bishop is seeking a letter from your former spouse.

Return to “General Discussions”