Updating Ward websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
vsilcox

Updating Ward websites

Post by vsilcox »

As the ward clerk I was recently asked to keep the callings on the ward website updated. I have gone to the website through lds.org and I can't seem to find where I go to update the callings. I found a help screen that says the callings on the website are not synchronized with MLS, which seems strange to me, but it doesn't tell me how to update the callings on the website. Can someone help me out here? I was told that I have administrator rights, but where do I go to update the callings?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

vsilcox wrote:As the ward clerk I was recently asked to keep the callings on the ward website updated. I have gone to the website through lds.org and I can't seem to find where I go to update the callings. I found a help screen that says the callings on the website are not synchronized with MLS, which seems strange to me, but it doesn't tell me how to update the callings on the website. Can someone help me out here? I was told that I have administrator rights, but where do I go to update the callings?
Most stakes have stopped updating callings in the Classic Ward and Stake Websites, since those callings are not synchronized with MLS and thus requires a lot of manual labor. The new Directory on LDS.org is a much nicer directory of members and leaders, and it does synchronize automatically. So before you invest a lot of time in updating the old website (which will be retired "soon" whatever that means), I'd recommend that you ask whoever made this request of you to see if it really is necessary to keep the old site updated.

Note that a stake website administrator for the old site can Turn off the classic calendar and directory, which will cause the links for calendar and directory items on the classic site to point to the updated Calendar and Directory on LDS.org. Unless your stake has really good reasons for sticking with the old technology, I'd highly recommend that your stake turn off those old tools and direct members to the new ones.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Most stakes have stopped updating callings in the Classic Ward and Stake Websites, since those callings are not synchronized with MLS.
Some stakes have even turned off the classic directory (which also turns off access to the leadership directory). It's possible that some have left it on as the new system is a bit weak in working with out of unit leaders.

The new system automatically syncs with MLS so that should be easy. However sometimes things don't sync up, so then you have to resort to the steps outlined in Correcting duplicate or missing callings.

If you do want to update the classic site, contact the stake clerk. He can probably get you set up as a ward admin. In the classic site you have to be specifically set up. Your rights do not happen automatically like they do with the new system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

A word to the wise about updating the classic website.

Last year, we had a couple of wards split in my stake. When the new units were added, no one was given Administrator access to the new units' sites. No one at the ward level, and no one at the stake level. If, somehow, no one already has administrator access, then you will not be able to get administrator access to the classic sites.

Frankly, I wish they'd just pull the plug and kill the classic stake and ward websites. They cause so much grief in my stake, even though I've already disabled the calendar and directory and pushed everyone on to the new tools. I'm trying to train people on how to use the new tools, but questions about the old site keep coming up over and over again, and I explain, repeatedly, that they are supposed to be pulling the plug within the next year or so, so it doesn't makes sense to invest any time in the classic website. In fact, when I've called Local Unit Support, they refused to do or fix anything with the classic website. It is entirely unsupported.

If anyone reading this has any sway with the classic website, I plead with you, pull the plug!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cognifloyd wrote:If, somehow, no one already has administrator access, then you will not be able to get administrator access to the classic sites.
There should be a way, probably via the stake or even the stake president where someone can be made an administrator. That's how the first administrator was set up.

cognifloyd wrote:If anyone reading this has any sway with the classic website, I plead with you, pull the plug!
However the classic site has some features that have not yet been implemented in the new tools. But as far as the calendar, directory and callings; your stake admin has the power to turn on a re-direct to disable access to those parts of the classic and be sent to the new tools. I would imagine that would take care of the biggest issue you're facing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:There should be a way, probably via the stake or even the stake president where someone can be made an administrator. That's how the first administrator was set up.
When a new ward is created in Classic LUWS, there are no administrators. There is a technical workaround to get an administrator assigned to the new ward(s) that requires the cooperation of two stake administrators. Details upon request.

When a new stake is created, the stake president must complete and fax in a written request to activate Classic LUWS for the new stake.
RussellHltn wrote:However the classic site has some features that have not yet been implemented in the new tools. But as far as the calendar, directory and callings; your stake admin has the power to turn on a re-direct to disable access to those parts of the classic and be sent to the new tools. I would imagine that would take care of the biggest issue you're facing.

Personally, I would turn off as much of the classic site as I could and redirect everything to the new site. This method has worked best for us. We have not added anything to the classic site in a long time.

I never thought I would see this day (oh me of little faith), but we actually prefer workarounds at the new site rather than using the classic site.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

lajackson wrote:When a new ward is created in Classic LUWS, there are no administrators. There is a technical workaround to get an administrator assigned to the new ward(s) that requires the cooperation of two stake administrators. Details upon request.
OK, next time I get a request about the classic website, maybe I'll come back here and get those details. Calling LUS to get access was entirely fruitless, as the classic site is "unsupported".
lajackson wrote:Personally, I would turn off as much of the classic site as I could and redirect everything to the new site. This method has worked best for us. We have not added anything to the classic site in a long time.
Yah, I'm the Stake Website Administrator, and I've turned off as much as I can. I still get people that want to edit the quote or the picture, or the phone number, or add news and information, or add gallery of photos (in a news/info article - yikes), etc. It's just a headache that I believe is unnecessary.

Anyway, it was awesome that [whoever is in charge] decided that the experiment with having stuff on lds.org for stakes and wards was successful. I'm glad that we are creating new tools (calendar, directory, lesson scheduler, newsletter). I'm ecstatic to see the progress.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Although it really is to bad that there isn't a Ward Website, or a Stake Website that is a central location, like there was (or is technically)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JohnShaw wrote:Although it really is to bad that there isn't a Ward Website, or a Stake Website that is a central location, like there was (or is technically)
They are discussing/working on a unifying application to replace the landing page that existed in the classic LUWS. See this post.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

My thoughts are around the in-between period, in the linked thread the effort is only really conceptual at this point. In my browsing of the current church resources, I feel a greater sense of being one with members of the church around the world, but my sense of 'belonging' to a 'place' on the web that represents my ward family, it is just not there. I have a personal blog, a family blog, each an online sense of belonging, but my ward or stake has no real 'place' for me to 'belong'.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”