What technology field do you specialize in?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

My first computer programs were in BASIC (and one in assembler) on a Commodore VIC-20 when I was in junior high, but my main computer interest at the time was in the graphics side of things, which led me to pursue computer animation. I kept dabbling with various scripting languages and web things on the side, though, which led me to study Visual Basic for Applications, HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript. What eventually brought my scripting efforts back into the realm of CG was MEL, the Maya Embedded Language, which is part of the Maya 3D animation software produced by Autodesk.

After seven years as an animator working on everything from TV commercials to feature films, animation became too stressful. In January of this year I was allowed to shift gears and become the studio's animation TD (technical director), which means that I do a mix of tool development and troubleshooting for the animation department. We recently wrapped up animation on Open Season 2, so I've taken advantage of the less hectic schedule between projects to dig into Python, and have quickly turned into a Python junkie. It opens up lots of new options at work, and will likely affect several personal projects as well.
Esogs-p40

Post by Esogs-p40 »

Customer Operations - I am the senior director over incoming internet server call centers.
FreeBSD, Linux, Windows, and many, many applications and technologies on them.
mikengray-p40

Linux Engineer

Post by mikengray-p40 »

Cool to see USU grads out there on the forums! I, too, graduated from USU with a Business Info Systems degree. I'm a Linux Engineer at a large financial firm. Basically, deal with prepping, testing, and scripting the installs of all RedHat Linux installs at the company, which currently has about 2500 Linux servers. I wish I had more software development skills, but really don't branch out beyond some kornshell and perl programming for my purposes. But I love getting on the forums and seeing what the techies are developing so I can take advantage of their skills! :) Actually, I'd love to contribute, but I'm not sure what I can offer at this point. But I'm keeping my eyes open for opportunities!
-Mike
JeffTurgeon

Most Technology is learned through OJT

Post by JeffTurgeon »

I've worked as a Senior Field Tech for 15 years. During this time I troubleshot/repaired/installed card access systems, CCTV systems, security systems, and fire systems for commercial and residential accounts. When I was able to work from the office I would help other techs troubleshoot their jobs in the field while programming their equipment using downloading software. I really enjoyed this field; especially having opportunities to work on some really neat military projects.

In time I began to notice a few old timers struggle on some of our job sites. The job was physically demanding at times. I began to picture myself 25yrs in the future and decided that I didn't want to be that guy. I went back to school and followed another career path.

I currently teach computer classes in a public school district, while also being responsible for any IT needs in my respective building. I enjoy having students see computers as tools rather than toys. Being from a technical background I allow select classes the opportunity to disassemble some of our donated computers, identify the internal parts, explain how the parts work, and afterwards put them back together.

I love working with technology and am glad to see the church embrace it more and more each day.
jonejam2

Post by jonejam2 »

I spent 8 years as a Radioman / Technical controller in the Navy. I worked with almost every part of the RF spectrum, mostly on the connectivity side. From Microwave to SHF and satellite movement and control uplinks (FSC79). I moved to commercial service provider (backbone) support, installation, repair and management for company's like MCI, IXC, and Level(3) Communications. I managed a global IP network operations center monitoring, installing, managing, and repairing all types of Cisco and Juniper switches and routers, and the fiber connectivity between cities. I've worked on every feasible type of circuit from 75 baud up to OC192's internationally. My group was responsible for monitoring some connections running on undersea cable operations between the US and Asia/Europe. I was responsible for customer interface and problem resolution for customers ranging from the single server in a colocation facility to companies with worldwide services like AOL and Yahoo.

Telecom is great - without that physical link, nothing works :)

I left telecom because my wife took a job in Idaho. Haven't been able to find work in Idaho in Telecom, but my Bishop keeps me busy being the Ward Clerk. I have a BS degree in Secondary Education (English and History certifications) from Idaho State University and I love teaching (even though I graduated just as the Teaching field dried up :)

Thank you ALL for your time and service to the Lord.
BarryHill

Post by BarryHill »

I worked with the Dept of Justice / Federal Bureau of Prisons as an IT manager. No programming background other than dabbling for fun with basic and php. Mostly Novell Netware Admin, LAN management, hardware, information security. I also teach part-time at Penn. College of Tech. That consists mainly of productivity software for Construction Mgmt" such as CAD, MS Office, MS Project, and MS Front-Page.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

If it has to do with technology, I've probably done it. I've worked as a dark room tech, TV repairman, car stereo tech, performance sound and lighting tech, electrician, industrial controls tech, industrial controls engineer, locksmith, alarm system installer, typesetter, printer (both letterpress and offset), office machine tech, copier tech, printer tech, programmer (FORTRAN, COBOL, BASIC, BAL, JCL, REXX, Z80 Assembly, C, Perl, PHP), network tech, system admin (IBM S3, AS400; Linux, FreeBSD, IRIX, Solaris, UNIX), telephone installer/tech, computer tech (pre-PC, PC, mini), backup power systems engineer, power correction engineer.

Currently a programmer and one man IT department for a small ecommerce software company.

Return to “General Discussions”