Church magazine integration with Google Currents

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
mwholt

Church magazine integration with Google Currents

Post by mwholt »

My searches are in vain for an official RSS feed that contains the contents of the latest Church magazine articles. The new Ensign tablet app looks pretty and probably works great, but the 200-500 MB download is frustrating for many users, and there appear to be problems. What about publishing to a more standardized mobile media platform?

It would be great to see, for instance, the Church magazines (particularly the Ensign/Liahona) published to Google Currents. I'm not entirely sure what is involved to do that, but the producer's form is here.

I'm not even sure it would be required to sign up as a producer (if there would be legal or other drawbacks) -- Currents can subscribe to RSS feeds and so we'd just need an RSS feed with the articles in them. I realize there's video and audio feeds, but Android devices can already read the text to users for Accessibility.

This app comes natively on new Android devices, I think (my Nexus 7 came with it) and I love reading from it -- there's an iOS version, too. I think it would be of great worth to many Church members to have the magazine articles published to Currents.

Similar apps to Currents include Flipboard and Newsstand.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

+1 I would love the ensign in Google Currents.
mwholt

*cricket, cricket*

Post by mwholt »

Cool... so: I'm new here... what can we do to help this along? Is it a waiting game, or is there some way we should get involved?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Have you submitted feedback using the Feedback link on LDS.org? Those of us who frequent these forums are mostly community users like you. There is a slight chance someone in position to do something may read this thread - but not likely. There is little you can do other than to submit feedback. Setting up an RSS feed would be an internal ICS project. It would not be a community project that you could get involved.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mwholt

Post by mwholt »

Thanks. I've had success with the Feedback form before -- I'll try it again for this idea.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”