Annual ward history template?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
davesudweeks

Re: ward history template?

Post by davesudweeks »

jspalmer1 wrote:Does anyone have a Ward History template that they can share?
I can send you examples from some I have put together (I sent you a PM). Since every year is different, I didn't use a standardized template - I would begin each one from scratch. I would write about 1-2 pages of general ward events (births, leadership changes, missionaries, deaths, etc) from the clerk's perspective and ask each organization to provide something from their perspective. Some would provide write-ups that I would include and I didn't worry about any ward organization who didn't participate. I would send the request to the organization heads and then a single reminder a few weeks later.
scottdavidanderson

Re: Annual ward history template?

Post by scottdavidanderson »

I am not sure if you have seen the samples the church has on their website. Here is a link in case you haven’t seen them. I have never put together a history before so I was looking for some help as well. Maybe this will get you started:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/cal ... e?lang=eng
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

scottdavidanderson wrote:I am not sure if you have seen the samples the church has on their website. Here is a link in case you haven’t seen them. I have never put together a history before so I was looking for some help as well. Maybe this will get you started:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/cal ... e?lang=eng
This is a great suggestion. Examples were not available when I was first called as ward clerk so came up with my own format that I used over the years.
ryanmercer

Post by ryanmercer »

Would anyone feel comfortable sharing an example of a "good" ward history with me?

I was made ward clerk this past Sunday, the history is already overdue and the only other calling I've ever had in 15 years is EQ secretary. I asked our stake history person for a copy of the 2019 and she provided it and then told me it was inadequate and unacceptable and didn't meet the minimum requirements and that I need to have the 2020 one to her by the end of the month in an acceptable state. The 2019 one she sent, I'll agree, is not good... it's not even a few paragraphs.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

ryanmercer wrote:Would anyone feel comfortable sharing an example of a "good" ward history with me?

I was made ward clerk this past Sunday, the history is already overdue and the only other calling I've ever had in 15 years is EQ secretary. I asked our stake history person for a copy of the 2019 and she provided it and then told me it was inadequate and unacceptable and didn't meet the minimum requirements and that I need to have the 2020 one to her by the end of the month in an acceptable state. The 2019 one she sent, I'll agree, is not good... it's not even a few paragraphs.
I sent you a PM. If you will send me your email address (to the address in the PM), I'll send you some examples I have done in past years. I won't guarantee they are "good enough" for your stake history person, but I never received any negative feedback from our stake on mine.

I hope you love the clerk calling as much as I did.

Dave Sudweeks
(artist formerly known as Elm Creek Ward Clerk)
ryanmercer

Post by ryanmercer »

Thanks, email inbound!
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

ryanmercer wrote:Thanks, email inbound!
Samples sent. Best of luck since you have a short suspense on this task.
mekbh2

Post by mekbh2 »

I can not get into the ward history template. This is my first year of doing the ward history. I started doing it by month. So, instead of a calendar, I put the events under each month. example: ward, RS, Young men and women activities, births, deaths, etc. I took the ward conference sheet and wrote the important parts into that month's history. Is that ok? Do I need to do something different?
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

mekbh2 wrote:I can not get into the ward history template. This is my first year of doing the ward history. I started doing it by month. So, instead of a calendar, I put the events under each month. example: ward, RS, Young men and women activities, births, deaths, etc. I took the ward conference sheet and wrote the important parts into that month's history. Is that ok? Do I need to do something different?
I don't think there is a standard template. Every ward seems to do it differently in regards to what they include. For us, we have each organization submit their own history. Some orgs do a good job and some do almost nothing. I used to include all of our monthly newsletters but we've stopped doing those so my history has slimmed down a lot.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

mekbh2 wrote:I can not get into the ward history template. This is my first year of doing the ward history. I started doing it by month. So, instead of a calendar, I put the events under each month. example: ward, RS, Young men and women activities, births, deaths, etc. I took the ward conference sheet and wrote the important parts into that month's history. Is that ok? Do I need to do something different?
There is no template that I'm aware of unless your stake has one they want you to use. I sent you a PM with my email address. If you want some examples of ones I have done in the past when I was ward clerk, I would be happy to share. Just let me know via email.

My wife is Stake Primary President and last year she did hers month-by-month (well, she assigned her secretary to compile it all). The stake liked it so much they asked all the stake organizations to follow her lead this year.

Dave Sudweeks

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”