Home Teaching Assignments available on LDS.org

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
msheets

Home Teaching Assignments available on LDS.org

Post by msheets »

As an elders quorum president, one of my biggest concerns is with home teaching. It is difficult to keep everyone consistently informed on changing assignments in a young single adult ward. I would consider it a huge blessing to have added to the tools a "Home/VT Assignment" tool where members can log on and see their HT/VT information. In a later iteration this could perhaps be expanded for reporting (how amazing would that be.....), but for now it would be huge just to know that everyone could get on LDS.org or on LDS tools and quickly and easily find contact information for their home teachees and district supervisors.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

HT/VT capabilities online have been requested numerous times in these forums. Any capabilities online requires MLS HT/VT data to be stored in a Church database other than just in MLS. Until that happens no portion of HT/VT can be made available online. No information concerning any efforts to get MLS HT/VT data stored outside MLS and on Church servers has been released to date.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
msheets

Post by msheets »

@jdlessley: Thanks for your response. That makes sense. I'll have to say that as I've discussed this with ward members and friends, that merge--assuming it were to happen--would be one of the most amazing things that could happen to the Church's information system. I'd love to see it happen, but understand if there are reasons to abstain all together or at least to wait--it is a large system to move. Regardless though, for me it's a fun and exciting thought. :)
kirtkennedy

Post by kirtkennedy »

Check out a third party app called Return & Report. Google "Returnandreport.org" used in countess wards
thisis4me

Post by thisis4me »

jdlessley wrote:HT/VT capabilities online have been requested numerous times in these forums. Any capabilities online requires MLS HT/VT data to be stored in a Church database other than just in MLS. Until that happens no portion of HT/VT can be made available online. No information concerning any efforts to get MLS HT/VT data stored outside MLS and on Church servers has been released to date.

Just like to say that the church is working on LDS.org Tools integration for Home/Visiting Teaching - This is from May's Tech.lds.org Blog:

"The Home and Visiting Teaching application, a long-time request that has been frequently home-built by wards, will eventually see light in an official application on LDS.org. Leaders will have access to sign into LDS.org and input numbers about visits conducted during the month"

This can be found at: https://tech.lds.org/blog/486-from-loca ... e-of-tools

Hopefully it should be ready soon :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

thisis4me wrote:Just like to say that the church is working on LDS.org Tools integration for Home/Visiting Teaching - This is from May's Tech.lds.org Blog:...

Hopefully it should be ready soon :)
As with most announcements of this type note there is no timeline. That article was published back in May. Getting ones hopes up of a release within the next few months may prove disappointing. I would be happy to be proven wrong however.

My comment was about an announcement about getting HT/VT data stored on church servers which is a key requirement for the capability. We have been teased since 2008 with announcements about the development of a HT/VT application which continually appears to be pushed out for one reason or another.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thisis4me wrote:Hopefully it should be ready soon :)
It might be wise to remember this is coming from the same organization that defines the Second Coming as "soon". ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

RussellHltn wrote:It might be wise to remember this is coming from the same origination that defines the Second Coming as "soon". ;)
"Soon" is a fuzzy variable indeed!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
clevtool

Re: Home Teaching Assignments available on LDS.org

Post by clevtool »

+1 vote for HT/VT reporting being one of the biggest advancements to the online MLS integration.
slohner

Re: Home Teaching Assignments available on LDS.org

Post by slohner »

Does anyone know how to contact someone who prioritizes improvements to be made for the integration of MLS data with the LDS Tools App and LDS.org? As a bishop I can think of no other improvement that should have a higher priority than making the home teaching and visiting teaching assignments accessible on line and through LDS Tools to bishops, relief society presidencies, and Melchizedek priesthood group leaderships and presidencies. I just unlocked and updated my iPhone and found at the end of the process that I no longer was able to get Ward Tools as an App which had all of my home teaching and visiting teaching assignments on it. I am really discouraged by this because I always felt up to date with that App and I could find home teachers in a few seconds for anyone in the ward. Now its back to rediculous print outs from MLS that are always out of date. I find it amazing that our leaders still have to journey into the clerks office to adjust home teaching and visiting teaching assignments as well rather than on line. Home teaching assignments change so rapidly that we really should be using technology to stream line this process and make it accessible to those who need to know in critical situations. If we can access membership information on line already in a secure fashion, I am having a hard time understanding why the home teaching information can't be a part of this. If we can attach a phone number to someone's name, why not the ability to attach a home teacher's name. I don't care about an ability to report stats yet, just give me the basic ability to identify who someone's home teacher is. PLEASE!!! I am especially frustrated since I have learned that it was the LDS Tools powers that be that asked that Ward Tools stop and remove itself from the App store. Now I no longer have a way to find out who someone's home teacher is on my iPhone. I am very sad about this :(

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”