How to pay tithing online?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#101

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:I'm not sure who is doing that encouraging for your ward, but that is not current Church policy.
I'm not sure ether, I also know its not church policy. All I know is that the Bishop is always asking me how much we have is the FO account. When I tried to tell him we did not have an FO account he was instant to know the difference of how much we had taken in minus what we had paid out. As if he needed to be careful that we did not have a negative balance.
jasonfitt
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#102

Post by jasonfitt »

aaronklapheck wrote:Last year I noticed that when I payed fast offering and tithing, the money was all grouped together and was listed as tithing.
What you pay in fast offering and tithing should be separated because they are used for different purposes, as was mentioned by another poster. They shouldn't be grouped together and they should reflect what the member intended. Clerks can sometimes mistakenly put a fast offering donation in tithing, or the other way around. If this happens the member should alert the clerk so it can be corrected in MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31345
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#103

Post by russellhltn »

aaronklapheck wrote:Last year I noticed that when I payed fast offering and tithing, the money was all grouped together and was listed as tithing. I spoke with the bishop about this who said in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. In fact, he said that having all the different types of local funding schemes in place was causing them a big headache.
You may want to alert your stake president that your ward is in need of some training. But I'd imagine that having zero donations for Fast Offering (among other things) is likely to come to someone's attention.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#104

Post by Gary_Miller »

aaronklapheck wrote:Last year I noticed that when I payed fast offering and tithing, the money was all grouped together and was listed as tithing.
Could this be because you are paying your donations electronically straight to CHQ so they place the whole check into tithing since there is no slip stating where the funds should go?
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10360
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#105

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:
aaronklapheck wrote:Last year I noticed that when I payed fast offering and tithing, the money was all grouped together and was listed as tithing.
Could this be because you are paying your donations electronically straight to CHQ so they place the whole check into tithing since there is no slip stating where the funds should go?
Our service members who pay online to the Church say that there is a separate account number and payment information for different categories of contributions. In other words, they make one payment for tithing, and a separate payment for fast offering, etc., because of the way the banking and accounting system works right now.

When paying to a ward, if all of a contribution is being placed into tithing and not separated out according to the donation slip and the desire of the member, the clerks and bishopric are not following proper procedure.
User avatar
marianomarini
Senior Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Vicenza. Italy

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#106

Post by marianomarini »

Gary_Miller wrote:I'm not sure ether, I also know its not church policy. All I know is that the Bishop is always asking me how much we have is the FO account. When I tried to tell him we did not have an FO account he was instant to know the difference of how much we had taken in minus what we had paid out. As if he needed to be careful that we did not have a negative balance.
I think that this is due to prevent Stake President permission if disbursement exceed fund ammount!
Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#107

Post by Gary_Miller »

marianomarini wrote:I think that this is due to prevent Stake President permission if disbursement exceed fund amount!
While I know there is a need for the stake presidents OK if the amount exceeds a specific dollar amount for a one time FO expense. There is no requirement just because the amount will exceed what the members of the ward has donated.
User avatar
marianomarini
Senior Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Vicenza. Italy

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#108

Post by marianomarini »

Gary_Miller wrote:While I know there is a need for the stake presidents OK if the amount exceeds a specific dollar amount for a one time FO expense. There is no requirement just because the amount will exceed what the members of the ward has donated.
Strange enough. When I was Branch President (some decades ago) it was not allow to have a loss ratio in wichever fund. This require to have permission to do so.
But I've no problem to confess my senility! :D
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15127
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#109

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini wrote:Strange enough. When I was Branch President (some decades ago) it was not allow to have a loss ratio in wichever fund. This require to have permission to do so.
But I've no problem to confess my senility! :D
There have been changes in Church policy in this regard over the years. So I don't think at all that you are senile -- you are simply recalling something that once was policy, but no longer is.
User avatar
marianomarini
Senior Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Vicenza. Italy

Re: How to pay tithing online?

#110

Post by marianomarini »

aebrown wrote:There have been changes in Church policy in this regard over the years. So I don't think at all that you are senile -- you are simply recalling something that once was policy, but no longer is.
Thank you for your compassion. I'm about 64 but still play soccer, but change in Church sometimes goes faster and farster. General Handbook is changed twice since my release.
But this is surely Out Of Topic!
Post Reply

Return to “Local Unit Finance”