How to pay tithing online?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aaronklapheck

Re: How to pay tithing online?

Post by aaronklapheck »

Looks like LDS Tech also encourages payments be made directly to HQ:
http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Donations_to_C ... adquarters
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aaronklapheck wrote:Looks like LDS Tech also encourages payments be made directly to HQ:
But none of them follow the method you're suggesting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aaronklapheck

Post by aaronklapheck »

TinMan wrote:
aaronklapheck wrote:
If an individual wanted to donate in a way that ensure more of his time/money actually went to the church then they would use method 2 and NOT give locally through his ward.
Sorry, I need help with that. If I write out a paper check for $100.00 and give it to my bishop, doesn't $100.00 to to the church?

If i send $100.00 to the church via pay pal, doesn't $97.00 go to the church?
On the surface that is true, but if you account for what it actually costs to get your $100 to the church your $100 would actually be $93 or less (rough estimate). Here is the complete costs for me (time is money and I get about $35/hr):

Method 1: Pay through local ward.
a. Transaction from member to ward
i. $ (about $1 gas + $2 time) - transportation costs (if forgot checkbook, which happens to me all the time, and had to go and get it. Some wards have deacons pick up fast offering/tithing)
ii. Time, Reoccurring (about $0.5) - must hand enter all information, no automation possible (looked for a digital version and found nothing).
iii. Time, Reoccurring (about $1) - error handling. There are inevitably one or two slips that are not filled out correctly which waste time or cause problems later on.
b. Transaction from ward to HQ
i. Time Reoccurring (about $0.5)- Information from tithing slip must be entered by hand into church system.
ii. $ (time: $1, stamp/gas: $0.4) - transportation costs (money/check has to be driven or mailed to a location where it can be deposited or sent to HQ - fuzzy on this process but seems very time intensive)
iii. Time, Reoccurring (about $1) - error handling. There are inevitably one or two entries made by the clerk which waste time or cause problems later on.
Number of transactions: 2, low efficiency

Total costs to go through ward: $7.50. (this is ignoring a few of the inherent costs due to managing everything by hand like loosing a check or forgetting to turn in your slip at all and missing out on countless blessings).
aaronklapheck

Post by aaronklapheck »

russellhltn wrote:
aaronklapheck wrote:Looks like LDS Tech also encourages payments be made directly to HQ:
But none of them follow the method you're suggesting.
OK, then don't use PayPal. Just use the method that currently exists and is in place which is to pay directly through HQ by filling out and turning in a BillPay form.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aaronklapheck wrote:OK, then don't use PayPal. Just use the method that currently exists and is in place which is to pay directly through HQ by filling out and turning in a BillPay form.
Which brings us right back to the public position of the Donations Department:

The preferred method for making donations continues to be through the local ward unit. Those who have questions about electronic bill pay donations may call the LDS Donations Department at 801-240-2554 or email donations@ldschurch.org. Thank you.

You may choose to make disparaging comments about "bureaucrats" but the fact remains that the Donations Department has the people who would process such an application, and they have said that the "preferred method for making donations continues to be through the local ward unit." I see no justification for disregarding that statement.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

There are two things that are my understanding as to electronic donations that bothers me. I understand that you cannot make contributions to ward missionary funds. I would be in serious trouble if ward members could not contribute to a couple of my missionaries that are struggling to meet their financial obligations. Serious trouble.

Secondly, I understand that when you make a fast offering donation, it goes to the general fast offering fund and not the ward fast offering fund.

I like the idea that my fast offering donation goes to help my ward members first.
Last edited by TinMan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

aaronklapheck wrote:
On the surface that is true, but if you account for what it actually costs to get your $100 to the church your $100 would actually be $93 or less (rough estimate). Here is the complete costs for me (time is money and I get about $35/hr):
Your logic is fuzzy at best. For example, $3.00 in transportation cost would only apply if you made a special trip to the bishop just to pay your tithing. Most people don't. They bring it to church and hand it to me as I walk off the stand in Sacrament meeting. All the "cost" for the clerks to enter information is also fuzzy at best. It is their calling. It is the same as "it costs the church $35.00 every week for an instructor to prepare his lesson for an hour every week." It is his calling. That is what he is supposed to be doing. It doesn't cost the church anything.
Last edited by TinMan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:There are two things that bother me on the form you linked to for electronic donations:
Please note that the post containing that link has been removed. The Donations Department has asked us not to post forms or links to forms.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Sorry. Edit my posts as you see necessary.

nevermind. I think I fixed it. :)

Thanks
aaronklapheck

Post by aaronklapheck »

aebrown wrote:
aaronklapheck wrote:OK, then don't use PayPal. Just use the method that currently exists and is in place which is to pay directly through HQ by filling out and turning in a BillPay form.
Which brings us right back to the public position of the Donations Department:

The preferred method for making donations continues to be through the local ward unit. Those who have questions about electronic bill pay donations may call the LDS Donations Department at 801-240-2554 or email donations@ldschurch.org. Thank you.

You may choose to make disparaging comments about "bureaucrats" but the fact remains that the Donations Department has the people who would process such an application, and they have said that the "preferred method for making donations continues to be through the local ward unit." I see no justification for disregarding that statement.
You can do it that way if you like. But I will choose to do it in the way that minimizes the error associated with the human handling of funds. Every transaction introduces additional sources of error, which costs the church time and money. If you don't want to believe that then so be it. But don't discourage others from trying to do things the best way possible.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”