Ward Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Mowen-p40

Post by Mowen-p40 »

Brilliant, thanks Redzarf, I'll take a look...
sjpynes

Post by sjpynes »

redzarf wrote:Mowen, take a look at this thread. I built an alternative to this map-maker - uses google instead of yahoo (works better outside america) and has settings for both MLS and LUWS membership downloads. It also has filtering and some other options. The resulting file can be viewed in Google Earth.

I downloaded an tried "MLS to KML," selected MLS defaults, and pasted in my CVS text, but when I pressed the "Generate kml data" button it came back with a window that said "Permission UniversalBrowserRead denied."

I was using MS IE 7 as my browser. I tried adjusting my security level down without, but without success. Looking at the code I see the call to "netscape.security.privilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalBrowserRead"). Does that mean I need a non-IE browser to make this work or am I just doing something else wrong?
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

sjpynes wrote:I was using MS IE 7 as my browser. I tried adjusting my security level down without, but without success. Looking at the code I see the call to "netscape.security.privilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalBrowserRead"). Does that mean I need a non-IE browser to make this work or am I just doing something else wrong?

I had to play with the program a bit to make it work, and I did not receive the message that you received, but I did finally get it to work and I am also am using IE 7, so I don't think that is your issue. Someone with more knowledge of the program may be able to give you more specific help on what to look for, but it's probably not your browser.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Yeah, I couldn't get past the same error message. Behind the popped-up error message, it showed it was "Processing Row 1 of 443", followed by the first name on the list in parenthesis. Tried a few things, but didn't pursue it extensively. If anyone has a working solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, I tried it on a machine running fully patched versions of Vista Ultimate and IE7. Haven't tried XP and/or a different browser yet.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

Mikerowaved wrote:Yeah, I couldn't get past the same error message. Behind the popped-up error message, it showed it was "Processing Row 1 of 443", followed by the first name on the list in parenthesis. Tried a few things, but didn't pursue it extensively. If anyone has a working solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

That was an error I received, and I worked past it, but it has now been a couple of months and I can't remember how I resolved it, but I'll try to get back to it in the next couple of days.

I haven't gone back to the program because the addresses in my ward are too close together on the map and I can't figure out if there is a way to zoom in so that all of them can be read. I'm probably going to purchase a copy of a program that someone at work showed me for Palm PDAs that does the same thing, except you can zoom in and out on the map.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:That was an error I received, and I worked past it, but it has now been a couple of months and I can't remember how I resolved it, but I'll try to get back to it in the next couple of days.

I haven't gone back to the program because the addresses in my ward are too close together on the map and I can't figure out if there is a way to zoom in so that all of them can be read. I'm probably going to purchase a copy of a program that someone at work showed me for Palm PDAs that does the same thing, except you can zoom in and out on the map.
You must not have seen my post where I answered your question. [post=7610]Here is a link to it[/post], even though it is just a few posts away.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mkmurray wrote:You must not have seen my post where I answered your question. [post=7610]Here is a link to it[/post], even though it is just a few posts away.
If I'm not confused, SR Ward Clerk and I were discussing the errors we received using the HTML/Javascript solution that calls Google Maps and your zoom mod is for the Yahoo Maps script.

I've haven't been able to get the Google script to run error-free yet, so I can't comment on its zoom level (or lack thereof), but Yahoo maps gives me adequate zoom/pan capabilities after the map displays. However, because of the density of our Ward, I still have a problem with some flags being completely obscured, even at the highest zoom level. That's one reason I wanted to take a peek at what the Google solution looked like.

A few years ago I used MS Streets & Trips to do a similar kind of thing. I can't remember every step, but essentially I imported the WardList.csv file into Excel, stripped out the unneeded columns and exported it as a push-pin list that S&T could import. The nice thing about that was you could display as much or little of the flag data as you wanted, or none at all, leaving just the bare pins visible. When a pin was clicked on, the data would appear. Of course, many different colors and pin styles could be used as well, to break up the Ward into different geographic regions, identify priesthood holders or perhaps those with disabilities, HT/VT routes, whatever. You could even draw lines and put your own text on the map as well.

Unfortunately (IMO) there was too much manual work involved to keep up with a dynamic Ward, so after my release and careful passing of it to someone else, (as was half expected) the project died. I haven't tried it with later versions of S&T (I now own 2007), so maybe I'll try it again and see if it has any improved hooks I can use for streamlining the process. (Unless someone else has already given this a serious look.)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fraserredmond

MLS->KML fixed for IE7

Post by fraserredmond »

sjpynes wrote:I downloaded an tried "MLS to KML," selected MLS defaults, and pasted in my CVS text, but when I pressed the "Generate kml data" button it came back with a window that said "Permission UniversalBrowserRead denied."

I was using MS IE 7 as my browser. I tried adjusting my security level down without, but without success. Looking at the code I see the call to "netscape.security.privilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalBrowserRead"). Does that mean I need a non-IE browser to make this work or am I just doing something else wrong?
Wow, I hadn't heard about anyone using the MLS->KML for months, then suddenly everyone that has comes out of the woodwork!

I must confess I never got around to testing in IE7 after the most recent changes :o and it turns out there was a pair of brackets missing which IE6 and Firefox handled without problem, but IE7 gave up on. Thats fixed in the latest version attached, and should solve the problem Mikerowaved and SRWardClerk had.

However it won't solve the UniversalBrowserRead issue. This is a security block from IE and Firefox which is a good idea because it stops scripts you don't know are running from doing 'bad things', but isn't a problem for scripts that you do know are running - as in this case.

For me, I got the "Allow scripts and ActiveX objects" popup at the top of the page, and once I choose allow running of this content I also got an extra warning each time I ran it, but otherwise everything was fine. I never got a UniversalBrowserRead message, and from what I've read this is a term thats only linked to Firefox, not IE7 - but I don't know much about it, and could be wrong.

If you get any further errors please let me know (PM might be faster.) If I'd heard from the first of you to get this error, I could have fixed it before other people got it. :D

SRWardClerk - when you say the addresses are too close for zooming - are you using Google maps or Google Earth? Both have zoom controls... or is your ward really dense (like apartment buildings at BYU or something.) If its apartments, it'd be worth playing around with them in google maps to see if it comes up with slightly different locations (even if the closest zoom doesn't show it, if they're different lat/long then you'd be able to zoom in closer in Google Earth), and if so it could just be a matter of formatting the addresses for the converter.
Attachments
mls2GoogleEarth2.1.zip
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
fraserredmond

Post by fraserredmond »

redzarf wrote:
If you get any further errors please let me know (PM might be faster.)
Mikerowaved sent me some sample output, that helped me track down a bug that only occurred when the country was the last column of the data - (Mikerowaved, was that the case for the data you had inputted? If not, can you send me the first couple of lines of your data - strip out any personal info.)

Attached is a new version.
Attachments
mls2GoogleEarth2.1.zip
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Yup, that fixed it (for me anyway). Well done!

The problem I'm seeing now is when I pass the KML file to Google Earth, the pins are close, but not quite there. Most of them run down the middle of the street with a slight bias toward the correct side of the street, but unfortunately, I've found several that are as much as 2 houses off. Fortunately, Google Earth lets you move the pins (using Properties) to the right location, but for a typical unit, that's a LOT of pins to tweak.

I'm a novice Google Earth user, so forgive my dumb question, but is there a way to view it as a map only and not as an areal photo without going online?

Tnx,
Mike

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”