New MLS Backup/Restore behavior

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rickk

New MLS Backup/Restore behavior

Post by rickk »

I wanted to point out a new behavior after a database restore, and if any programmers are lurking, maybe ask for a slight change if possible.

Since the 3.5.1 upgrade, whenever you restore the database, it will lock out finance until you get a synch file from Salt Lake (I verified this with LUS, so it isn't just a problem on our computer). This happens even if everything was open and working when you made the backup. Thus if we want to put a copy of the database on the computer in the stake president's office, he would not be able to use the finance section because that computer won't do a send/receive and will never get the file.

It currently looks like the "Reports" area is open, so that you can look at finance statements and info from the Other and Reimbursed categories. However, you cannot get into the Budget section so you can't do budget reports. The requested change would be that budget reports somehow be enabled and then the second copy of the data would be able to do everything important.

Rick
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MLS as never designed to support a second computer. I'd think that would be rare since by policy live MLS data is not allowed on personal computers. Nor can donated computers be used. And usually the FM group wants the old admin for proper disposal.

The only thing I can suggest is to run certain reports on a regular basis.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rickk

Post by rickk »

We have a stake-purchased computer in the stake president's office, so we fall into the "rare" case. :-)

The issue is not regular reports, it is wanting something as a discussion is happening. With the membership stuff available online now, that becomes an easy one - login with your iPad and see what it says. However, finance is still only local, so any finance questions require looking at the database. With the second copy, that can be done immediately vs. having to run to the clerks office and hope that the computer is up and running and doesn't take 5 minutes to boot...

I understand if the change doesn't happen, but it can't hurt to ask, since it might be fairly simple to enable additional reporting.
drepouille

Re: New MLS Backup/Restore behavior

Post by drepouille »

I believe the work-around you are looking for is to delete your unit directory before you start MLS and do the restore. If MLS starts up and doesn't find any unit data, it gives you the initial screen that asks for your unit number and name, and your administrator password. Then you can just restore your backup. When you do that, I don't think anything is locked out.

The unit data folders are located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS\data\units" for Windows XP and "C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS\data\units" for Windows 7 (note: "C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS" is a hidden folder).
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”