Image - Read forum with subforums
Image - Unread forum with subforums
Image - Link forum

Image - Attachment
Image - Go to last post in the topic
Image - Go to last unread post in the topic
Image - Subforum read
Image - Subforum unread

Feel free to edit this post to add more details. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Topic/Post Icons and their meanings

Post by russellhltn »

TimRiker wrote: - A star on any topic means you have posted in it
That would be a small star in the upper right.

Any added picture in the lower left indicates the icon attached to a post in the thread. (I think it's the last post.). Since one of the possible icons there is a star, it's possible to have a larger star in the lower left.
mevans

Post by mevans »

The difference between the read and unread icons is easy to see here. However, when looking at the board itself, it's nearly impossible for me to differentiate the colors. I suggest doing something that's easier to see.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:The difference between the read and unread icons is easy to see here. However, when looking at the board itself, it's nearly impossible for me to differentiate the colors. I suggest doing something that's easier to see.
I agree. Here are the three icons side by side:
unread.png
unread.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 42387 times
They are (left to right):
  1. The "Unread topic" icon from the original post in this this topic (which comes from the "prosilver" theme)
  2. The actual unread topic icon as it exists on the forum now (from the ldstech theme)
  3. The actual read topic icon as it exists on the forum now (from the ldstech theme)
Icon #1 has a red circle and completely red contents, which distinguishes it quite nicely from icon #3, which is all bluish gray.

But icon #2 has the same bluish gray circle as icon #3 and part of its contents are also the same bluish gray, which doesn't distinguish it nearly as much from icon #3.

I'd vote for using icon #1 instead of icon #2 for unread topics.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

aebrown wrote: I agree. Here are the three icons side by side:
unread.png
They are (left to right):
  1. The "Unread topic" icon from the original post in this this topic (which comes from the "prosilver" theme)
  2. The actual unread topic icon as it exists on the forum now (from the ldstech theme)
  3. The actual read topic icon as it exists on the forum now (from the ldstech theme)
Icon #1 has a red circle and completely red contents, which distinguishes it quite nicely from icon #3, which is all bluish gray.

But icon #2 has the same bluish gray circle as icon #3 and part of its contents are also the same bluish gray, which doesn't distinguish it nearly as much from icon #3.

I'd vote for using icon #1 instead of icon #2 for unread topics.
+1 I agree that it is hard to tell the difference. Something with more contrast should be used.
mevans

Post by mevans »

There seems to be some agreement on this...any hope we might see a change in the graphics?
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Could you tell me the meaning of the "Post icon" across the top, when I am drafting a thread? Have they been updated since the 1st thread of TimRiker? when I view a forum topic of a thread these show up. I clicked 1 of the icons (is it a lock?) and now I can not unclick it. If I have an icon by one of my threads did I put it there, or did a moderator insert this? If a lock is on the topic what does this mean? Thank You.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Could you tell me the meaning of the "Post icon" across the top, when I am drafting a thread? Have they been updated since the 1st thread of TimRiker? when I view a forum topic of a thread these show up. I clicked 1 of the icons (is it a lock?) and now I can not unclick it. If I have an icon by one of my threads did I put it there, or did a moderator insert this? If a lock is on the topic what does this mean? Thank You.
It puts the selected icon next to the subject line on your post. You cannot unclick the selected icon, but you can click None at the left, which will remove the icon.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

I have written my comments and questions in bold green color in this post. I also found a great deal of good help in the 'BBCode" thanks.
TimRiker wrote:Two general points
- Red icons are unread items, blue/grey are read
- A small star in the upper right on any topic means you have posted in it
- A hot topic is one with more than 25 replies

Image - Announcement
Image - Sticky topic I assume that I do not have the rights to use this, or at least I don't think I should.
Image - Read topic Is this tool for me?
Image - Unread topic I this tool for me?
Image - Read topic that you have posted in Is this for me?
Image - Unread topic that you have posted in Dose this mean that no one has read my post?
Image - Read hot topic Does this have anything to do with the post icon 2nd in from the left? or why would I use this? I probably do not have enough experience?
Image - Unread hot topic Again does this apply to me or the public?
Image - Locked topic Does this have to do with the post icon 2nd in from the left? I have a post with this on?
Image - Moved topic
Image - Read forum with subforums
Image - Unread forum with subforums
Image - Link forum

Image - Attachment
Image - Go to last post in the topic Where is this, I must be blind, I do not see where or how to use?
Image - Go to last unread post in the topic Where is this, I must be blind, I do not see where or how to use?
Image - Subforum read Where is this, I must be blind, I do not see where or how to use?
Image - Subforum unread Where is this, I must be blind, I do not see where or how to use?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote: Image - Attachment
Image - Go to last post in the topic Where is this, I must be blind, I do not see where or how to use?
Image - Go to last unread post in the topic Where is this, I must be blind, I do not see where or how to use?
ForumIcon.png
ForumIcon.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 41297 times
Look to the left of "Birthday". It will only be there if there are unread messages in the thread.

1968leocomeeatabite wrote: Image - Subforum read Where is this, I must be blind, I do not see where or how to use?
Image - Subforum unread Where is this, I must be blind, I do not see where or how to use?
ForumIcon2.png
(20.48 KiB) Downloaded 3243 times
Look to the left of each subforum. Note that the icon to the left of 'Directory' is slightly different color signifying that there is something unread in that section.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Announcements & Policies”