New Meetinghouse Locator on LDS.org - Beta Release

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
borenmt

Institutes as meetinghouses

Post by borenmt »

@Russell -- I checked with "those who know" on the Institute-as-meetinghouse issue. We have been fixing these on an on-going basis as people let us know which institute (and in a few cases, seminary) buildings are also being used for Sunday services. It sometimes does take a week or two to get these updated in the right systems, but if it has been longer than that, I would re-submit the issues. Thanks!
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

rmrichesjr wrote:In the new http://maps.lds.org (now featured with a paragraph and link at http://lds.org), the location of meetinghouse in Newberg, Oregon, USA appears to have been punted. The location shown is near the center of the old part of the city, about a full mile away from the correct location. The old meetinghouse locator had the location wrong by maybe a hundred yards or so, but the new one is off by much more. I submitted feedback about the new location.

Are there a significant number of other meetinghouses where the location isn't even close, where the site appears to show the default location for the approximate center of the city?
Oops. My error. I had misunderstood the meaning of the hieroglyphics. I had thought the TV screen with the orange newscaster in front of a green background represented the sought-for meetinghouse. (I wonder how many other visitors might make the same mistake.) I really need to find my Egyptian-to-English dictionary... :-)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rmrichesjr wrote:I had thought the TV screen with the orange newscaster in front of a green background represented the sought-for meetinghouse. (I wonder how many other visitors might make the same mistake.)
Well, what does the TV screen with the orange newscaster in front of a green background represent? It took me a while to figure out that he did not count. It was the numbers that showed where the meetinghouses were located.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:Well, what does the TV screen with the orange newscaster in front of a green background represent? It took me a while to figure out that he did not count. It was the numbers that showed where the meetinghouses were located.
It's the actual address or location you searched for. The numbers are the nearest meetinghouses to that location. So if you just enter a city, the green and orange icon will be at the center of the city.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:It's the actual address or location you searched for.
Ok. I see that now. Makes sense.
opee

Enhancement suggestion

Post by opee »

I have been using the new maps.lds.org, and it has been great! I have been traveling lately and thought that it would be nice to include the temples on the maps so that members (and non-members) can also see where the temple is located relative to their location and see if there is a visitor's center or not, and add the information found on the site about temples @ lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

opee wrote:I have been traveling lately and thought that it would be nice to include the temples on the maps so that members (and non-members) can also see where the temple is located relative to their location
Let's not stop there - how about any church site with a visitor's center? :)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
borenmt

Post by borenmt »

Opee and Russell--thanks for the ideas...
opee

Other possibilities

Post by opee »

What about including a "layering" of additional locations such as Church Area Offices? Mission offices? SLC Headquarters? Just another thought...
userid333-p40

Bishop's Phone Number

Post by userid333-p40 »

Does anyone know the source for the bishop's primary and alternative phone numbers in the meetinghouse locator?

As a new bishop I've found that my wife and children are starting to pick up crank calls with inappropriate language on our home phone. I'm not sure if the map is where my phone number is being found, but I'd like to replace my home phone with another number.

I've got to admit that when I learned that my home phone was openly published on the Internet that I wasn't all that pleased.

Return to “Main Church Website”