Scripture marking not working

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
csaxey

Re: Scripture marking not working

Post by csaxey »

I am also having a problem with highlighting and saving. I can generally highlight but it won't save. The notebook bar on the bottom of the page is inconsistent--sometimes it's there, sometimes not. I'm using a Kindle, I believe it is android. I live in Utah. I've been working on this for several days and I'm frustrated. I would appreciate any help.
rpc1

Post by rpc1 »

I can highlight a scripture, and it will stay highlighted, but my note and tags won't save with it. When I click Save after typing the notes and tags, the program just keeps trying to save, but doesn't finish. I am using Firefox 20 and Chrome and Explorer 10. I live in Fresno County California.
mevans

Post by mevans »

This morning I had a little problem when I first opened Lorenzo Snow chapter 9: the study bar was not present. I went to a different chapter and it was there. I went back to chapter 9 and it was now there. I was able to highlight passages and save and I just checked and it's all there.

I was using Safari on a Mac earlier today. I just checked with Opera 12.15 on Win 8 and it works. I also tried IE 10 on Win 8 and it works. There are some display problems with the Edit Note dialog on IE 10, but it works for me.

I've certainly experienced the problems csaxey and rpc1 are reporting at times in the past; they seem to be random.
scottcstewart

Post by scottcstewart »

I too am having lots of issues with trying to save highlighted text on my Android device (Droid 4) and Windows 7 computer. I do not have significant issues with the highlighting itself, as it generally works OK, just the retreival of it. Tags seem to not have any issues. Highlighting gets lost every time:

- When on Gospel Library on my Andorid device, I highlight text, save it. When I flip my screen, the screen refreshes, and the highlighting is immediately gone.

- When on Gospel Library on my Andorid device, I highlight text, save it. When I leave the talk or scripture and come back to it, the highlighting is immediately gone.

- When I am on lds.org using my computer, I highlight text, save it. When I come back to the talk or scripture, the highlighting is gone. I look on my Android device, and it is not there either, after snycing my Android device.

As you may know, a recent general conference talk encouraged that we use the online tools for scripture study, including highlighting. I think it would be cool to follow this counsel, but physically can't right now. You help would be greatly appreciated.
mevans

Post by mevans »

saeaastewart wrote:I too am having lots of issues with trying to save highlighted text on my Android device (Droid 4) and Windows 7 computer. I do not have significant issues with the highlighting itself, as it generally works OK, just the retreival of it. Tags seem to not have any issues. Highlighting gets lost every time:

- When on Gospel Library on my Andorid device, I highlight text, save it. When I flip my screen, the screen refreshes, and the highlighting is immediately gone.

- When on Gospel Library on my Andorid device, I highlight text, save it. When I leave the talk or scripture and come back to it, the highlighting is immediately gone.

- When I am on lds.org using my computer, I highlight text, save it. When I come back to the talk or scripture, the highlighting is gone. I look on my Android device, and it is not there either, after snycing my Android device.

As you may know, a recent general conference talk encouraged that we use the online tools for scripture study, including highlighting. I think it would be cool to follow this counsel, but physically can't right now. You help would be greatly appreciated.
I just checked and highlighting is working fine for me on Windows 8 (I tried IE and FF). I also observed that some highlights I made this morning from a Mac (OS 10.6.8, Safari) were still there.

Is your problem consistent or just today? I've certainly seen some occasional problems with highlights not sticking, but it's been a long time since I've experienced this.
scottcstewart

Post by scottcstewart »

Thanks for your quick reponse and for looking into this.

I tried again to highlight text on my Droid, per the first 2 issues I note above. The highlighting still does not save. However, I discovered that if I include a tag with my highlighting, both the tag and the highlighting are saved. No tag, no save.

I don't think my third issue is a problem, in that highlighted text on my computer (IE) saves just fine. The issue is actually that the system automatically logs you out when you use the back arrow to navigate to the point that you logged in. So, if you log in, highlight some text, and then use the back arrow to navigate back to the spot that you logged in (instead of clicking on a link to navigate backwards), it appears that the highlighting is gone, since you are then logged out. I noticed that even though I login when I first go into lds.org, I have to login again at the bottom of the screen to use bookmarks/highlighting/notes. Maybe lds.org knows of my shady past and needs to make sure I am legit. :cool:

I have noticed that I have to login quite a bit when I use LDS tools on my Andorid device, as I navigate around. Also, every time I need to purchase items for my ward (I am a Ward Clerk), I have to login again to go into the administration materials site. Same thing for going into the Missionary Recommendation and CDOL sites. Not sure if these login issues are related.
thurst

Post by thurst »

It looks like this problem may have been fixed some time ago but my wife has been fighting with the notes and journals section for a few months now preparing her lessons. She is using chrome(but has the same issues with IE) and tells me that the website is slow and a bit unresponsive. But she can work with that. The big problem is after she makes a journal or note entry, which is her lesson, she hits the save button which then says "undefined" instead of "saving" and its a crap shoot if it saves or not. Is there anything that can be done?
nirol

Post by nirol »

This morning on gospel library under IOS I can highlight scriptures, but I can no longer remove a highlight. When I go to the study bar item don't show up on the left so selecting edit has nothing to edit. I can see highlighted items on right.
ryan.haver

Post by ryan.haver »

I woke up today and wanted to digitize my hard copy of notes and highlights from previous scripture reading, but it appears the site isn't working properly. :( This is the same thing that occurred last year when I tried. Operating Systems Tested: Mac OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1. Browsers tested: Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.

Update: I might be expecting it to work on things that it doesn't. It appears to be working on chapterized content, but only the verses themselves, not title pages or chapter summaries. Since I was never able to get this working at all in months past, I'm wondering if it was user error. :rolleyes: Does anyone know if this is expected behavior? :confused:
mevans

Post by mevans »

ryan.haver wrote:Update: I might be expecting it to work on things that it doesn't. It appears to be working on chapterized content, but only the verses themselves, not title pages or chapter summaries. Since I was never able to get this working at all in months past, I'm wondering if it was user error. :rolleyes: Does anyone know if this is expected behavior? :confused:
The behavior certainly isn't my "expectation" but seems to be the way it works. Another place where you can't highlight is bulleted content...and I really wish you could.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”