Error downloading with LDS Tools

Discussions around the LDS Tools application for all versions of Windows Phone.
jkorosy

Error downloading with LDS Tools

Post by jkorosy »

Still trying to download LDS Tool to my Nokia 920 Windows Phone. It looks like it is downloading the information. Then it chokes and spits out "An error occurred while downloading. Please try again." How long has this been going on? Is there a fix or a work-a-round. Am I doing something wrong? Will a prayer help? :confused:
dkmortensen

Re: Error downloading with LDS Tools

Post by dkmortensen »

I haven't heard of that problem. Mu wife & I both have Lumia 920s. But you should probably create a new thread specifically for that issue in accordance with the forum rules.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dkmortensen wrote:But you should probably create a new thread specifically for that issue in accordance with the forum rules.
[Moderator note: I split this issue to a new topic in a more appropriate forum section from the topic Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?].
tiffwilson

Post by tiffwilson »

There IS a fix for this issue! It was happening to me, my daughter, and son, all with our Windows phones. But my husband had the same phone, and did NOT have the problem, which made it all the more confusing... For the three of us, the download would start, and could get through the first two sections (the directory and leadership sections), but then would crash as soon as it started to download the calendar.

The solution is to log into your lds.org account on a regular computer (desktop or laptop) first. Once you've logged in, hover over the place at the very top where your name appears with /Tools right next to it, and go into the Calendar section. Once you've been there, you can log out, and try again on your Windows phone. It worked like a breeze for all three of us.

For some reason, the Windows phones will only download the sections you've previously logged in and accessed on the regular lds.org website (NON-phone version). For all of us, we'd logged in and looked at the directories, etc, but never had accessed the Calendar portion.

My husband HAD been in the calendar portion, and therefore, the Windows phone download wasn't an issue for him.

If needed, you may want or need to uninstall the program on your windows phone before trying it again. But the good news is that it WILL work!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tiffwilson wrote:For some reason, the Windows phones will only download the sections you've previously logged in and accessed on the regular lds.org website (NON-phone version). For all of us, we'd logged in and looked at the directories, etc, but never had accessed the Calendar portion.
We've been told that when changing wards, that you need to log into the calendar and go to the subscription page. I suspect that since you've never been to the calendar, your calendar subscriptions had not been initialized and it caused an error.

Thanks for reporting the fix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

There is an easier fix than this. Here is a quote from one of my posts about this:
jkentner wrote:Just thinking about your LDS Tools not downloading...I had an issue with my wife's not downloading on her 920. It was actually doing it on her Focus with WP7 also. If I logged in as myself it worked fine. I went and changed her password to not have any special characters, and it worked fine. I honestly think there is a bug in the authentication component of the WP version of LDS Tools where it doesn't accept certain password combinations even though logging in via the website works fine.
adamjohnston

Post by adamjohnston »

no dice here, changed password and still same error occurs while downloading
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

My son has a WP 7.8 phone, it would not his password even after changing to multiple things. I then logged into LDS.org, went to the Calendar, limited the subscribed calendars to young men/scouting, then had him login to LDS Tools and it worked.
sir_hammer

Same problem on wife's Lumia 928

Post by sir_hammer »

My wife recently bought a Lumia 928 and encountered the same problem downloading her information for LDS Tools. She did not previously have a LDS account. After logging her in on the website and updating her calendar preferences could she download her information via LDS Tools on her phone. This is an interesting problem as I never ran into it over the last two years on my now deceased HTC Trophy.

Just thought I would share to corroborate what others have said.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

Thanks for that info, now that your have corroborated the fix by changing calendar preferences, hopefully the LDS Tools on WP team will see this and can apply a fix for the next release.

Return to “Windows Phone LDS Tools”