LDS Extended Access is quite restricted

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Do you have the ability to test it in your stake?
I cannot, sorry, or I would. Our stake computer is the only Admin connected to the internet and is running through the FHC CCN. We have opted not to spend stake money to upgrade any of the wards due to cost and the fact that they will be replaced next year.

If the new computers are not capable, we will spend stake money to upgrade. But we did not want to do it now on machines that will go away in a year.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I cannot, sorry, or I would. Our stake computer is the only Admin connected to the internet and is running through the FHC CCN. We have opted not to spend stake money to upgrade any of the wards due to cost and the fact that they will be replaced next year.

If the new computers are not capable, we will spend stake money to upgrade. But we did not want to do it now on machines that will go away in a year.

Thanks for the reply. But I'm confused about your reply. What do the computers have to do with your decision to have an Internet connection? An Internet connection will certainly work with the old computers as well as with any replacement computers. Regardless of any computer upgrades, the effort to supply an Internet connection is the same.
LakeyTW

Post by LakeyTW »

jdlessley wrote:So I guess that there really is no "standardized" LDS Extended Access.

Do we have a Church employee that is willing to address this?
I believe the process for requesting sites be reviewed and recategorized is by submitting them from the block page.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:What do the computers have to do with your decision to have an Internet connection?
We are not willing to spend the money for a memory upgrade and wireless equipment for 14 computers. In addition, the stake budget will not support the cost of internet service to buildings away from the stake center. And in one case, internet service is not available at the building anyway.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

lakeytw wrote:I believe the process for requesting sites be reviewed and recategorized is by submitting them from the block page.
This is correct. There is a team that reviews the submitted sites.

Tom
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomw wrote:This is correct. There is a team that reviews the submitted sites.

Thank you to those who have supplied the information about requesting access to blocked sites. That is helpful.

However, it raises three questions in my mind:
  1. Is it indeed the design and intention that LDS Extended Access is more restrictive filtering than the standard FHC filtering?
  2. Is there a way to request that the Church-managed firewall that currently uses LDS Extended Access be reconfigured to have the same filtering used by FHCs?
  3. If we do work through the process of submitting requests for access to blocked sites, and a previously blocked site is allowed, is that request processed for just that one firewall installation, or is the new permission pushed out to all users of the LDS Extended Access profile?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:Thank you to those who have supplied the information about requesting access to blocked sites. That is helpful.

However, it raises three questions in my mind:
  1. Is it indeed the design and intention that LDS Extended Access is more restrictive filtering than the standard CCN (FHC) filtering?
  2. Is there a way to request that the Church-managed firewall that currently uses LDS Extended Access be reconfigured to have the same filtering used by CCNs?
  3. If we do work through the process of submitting requests for access to blocked sites, and a previously blocked site is allowed, is that request processed for just that one firewall installation, or is the new permission pushed out to all users of the LDS Extended Access profile?
I don't have answers to all of your questions but I believe that updates can be pushed out to the firewalls remotely.

Also, all of the filtering is done by a common filtering engine used Church wide (from what I have been told). However there are different "usage" levels. So someone who makes policies has to decide that CCNs and local units should have the same level.

Tom
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomw wrote:I don't have answers to all of your questions but I believe that updates can be pushed out to the firewalls remotely.

Also, all of the filtering is done by a common filtering engine used Church wide (from what I have been told). However there are different "usage" levels. So someone who makes policies has to decide that CCNs and local units should have the same level.
Thanks, this gives some helpful insights.

But I do wonder about the statement about deciding if "CCNs and local units should have the same level." Since the announcement was made that administrative computers can connect to FHC CCNs, and the vast majority of CCNs are in FHCs that are in some sort of building housing local units, I fail to see the distinction. Filtering for FHC CCNs is the filtering for a large number of local units.

We have a whole bunch of administrative computers in local units connecting to FHC CCNs under the authority of the 11 Feb 2008 letter. We also have a growing set of administrative computer in local units with Internet connections installed under the authority of the 29 Feb 2008 and 26 Mar 2008 letters. Why would local units that happen to be in a building with a FHC have much broader access than those in a building with a stake-installed Internet connection using the Church-managed firewall?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks, this gives some helpful insights.

But I do wonder about the statement about deciding if "CCNs and local units should have the same level." Since the announcement was made that administrative computers can connect to CCNs, and the vast majority of CCNs are in FHCs that are in some sort of building housing local units, I fail to see the distinction. Filtering for CCNs is the filtering for a large number of local units.
I am assuming that is what is happening but I don't have verification on that yet. Another possible answer is that we have different firewalls with different rules.

Tom
danpass

Datapoint regarding ldscatalog login via meetinghouse internet

Post by danpass »

We are configured with LDS Extended Access. For several weeks, I have known that there is a problem logging into the local unit part of ldscatalog from meetinghouse computers. However, the problem does not manifest itself as an obvious filter block (we don't get the filter page saying that the site is blocked). We can get to the login page with no problem at all. It is when we enter the userid and password for the unit and attempt to login, that we get an error from the server saying that the page is currently not available (or something to that effect). This problem occurs using either Firefox or IE and it occurs on administrative computers as well as my own laptop (Linux/Firefox). Yesterday, for testing purposes, I briefly connected my laptop directly to the building Internet connection, bypassing the firewall. I was able to log in with no problem at all.
I suspect that even though the filter doesn't block the ldscatalog site, behind the scenes, it is probably blocking the authentication process from accessing some other server.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”