LDS Extended Access is quite restricted

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Mikerowaved wrote:Somewhat back on topic, I have received word from two different people now at GSD that they are working on another level of access for the ASA firewall, similar to what the PIX currently offers. No word yet as to when it will be ready, or even if this option will be available to non-Family History sites. Just thought I would toss that out for those having blocked-page problems with the LDS Extended Access.

Mike
I had occasion to contact the GSD the other day regarding the activiation of our last firewall and I posed the question that Mike's referring to. The response I obtained was the new access level was for Family History sites.
kh_design

Cannot Login at ldscatalog.com

Post by kh_design »

At the Church Clerks office workstation I am unable to Logon with the link at ldscatalog.com. I can open the ldscatalog.com website, however when I select the Logon link that hot links to https://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/s ... &langId=-1
I get an error, 'page cannot be displayed' In another ward at a different building in our Stake they have the same issue. Same error happens with the Register for a New Account link on ldscatalog.com.

I have not asked any of the other eight wards if they are seeing this, although I think they have not even tried to use ldscatalog.com in their clerk's office.

Is this part of the Unauthorized Web Sites issue?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Yes, they are aware of the LDSCatalog problem and are working on fixing it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kh_design wrote:At the Church Clerks office workstation I am unable to Logon with the link at ldscatalog.com. I can open the ldscatalog.com website, however when I select the Logon link that hot links to https://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/s ... &langId=-1
I get an error, 'page cannot be displayed' In another ward at a different building in our Stake they have the same issue. Same error happens with the Register for a New Account link on ldscatalog.com.

I have not asked any of the other eight wards if they are seeing this, although I think they have not even tried to use ldscatalog.com in their clerk's office.

Is this part of the Unauthorized Web Sites issue?
Mikerowaved wrote:Yes, they are aware of the LDSCatalog problem and are working on fixing it.

No, this is not the same issue at all, and so I moved these posts to an appropriate thread.

The issue with the Unauthorized Web Sites thread is simply on LUWS where you can add links, some sites that should be allowed because they are truly Church sites are rejected so that an LUWS administrator cannot add them.

The issue with ldscatalog being blocked is a firewall issue. It is a problem with the Websense categorization of the ldscatalog.com site (and perhaps related sites). It was reported long ago, but in my experience Websense fixes things quickly or not at all, so I am not so confident that anything is still in process on this.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Looks like we have a new wrinkle today in regards to the ASA firewalls.
The web site of http://www.ancestry.com is blocked on the Extended Access Firewall.
We used to have access, but now we get the block.
Is anyone else seeing this?

Also, http://new.familysearch.org is giving us trouble. It looks like the response is so slow that the browser is timing out. Is this just server overload or is HQ having problems again?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nFS seems to work fine from my home.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:nFS seems to work fine from my home.

Russell,

It's a firewall issue. This morning I had to make a fast run to two buildings and both were down.
The ASA 5505 was reporting sites as being blocked that were not blocked before.

www.ancestry.com

new.familysearch.org wasn't blocked but also wouldn't come up.

When I bypassed the ASA everything was normal. As this occured on two ASA's it has to be a programming issue.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

We noticed this last week during an install and opened a trouble ticket. Seems all the ASA's in our stake are locked into something similar to LDS Restricted Access mode and won't go much further than 2 or 3 well known LDS sites. When it gives the block screen, it clearly says "LDS Extended Access", but the reason for the block is blank.

The response from GSD is they were aware of it and were working on it.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Mikerowaved wrote:We noticed this last week during an install and opened a trouble ticket. Seems all the ASA's in our stake are locked into something similar to LDS Restricted Access mode and won't go much further than 2 or 3 well known LDS sites. When it gives the block screen, it clearly says "LDS Extended Access", but the reason for the block is blank.

The response from GSD is they were aware of it and were working on it.
Sounds like an update went sour :)
You have described exactly what I'm seeing here today. It made a real mess out of our efforts to teach members the NFS program. I'm going to call them tomorrow and try and find out what's going on.
With General Conference last week we didn't use the FH rooms so the problem wasn't observed until today.
natet

Post by natet »

We are on the LDS Extended Access, and each of the original sites mentioned in the thread work at our building. The familysearch.org site is timing out.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”