Family Research Aid

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
judypanaca

Family Research Aid

Post by judypanaca »

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a calling in each ward/branch where someone would go to the local cemeteries and photograph the gravestones and then upload the photos to various sites, such as Find a Grave or Names in Stone, etc. That would be such a blessing to those of us searching out our ancestors in places that we cannot visit outselves.

Judy Robertson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Family Research Aid

Post by russellhltn »

If the church felt the need for doing this, they'd probably extend some kind of service missionary calling. Not unlike the missionaries who photograph records for FamilySearch.

Typically church callings are extended to serve people IN the ward, or at least the ward boundaries.

Some people are touchy about photographing cemeteries. It may be best if people do this on their own rather then drag the church into this as it could make a tense situation worse.

And, for what it's worth, I think BillionGraves is the only one with a relationship to FamilySearch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
vwalker

Billiongraves.com, et al

Post by vwalker »

Does anyone know if the Church is trying to duplicate or extend the kind of services offered by http://www.findagrave.com or http://www.billionnames.com ? I am a family history missionary working in Taiwan currently. Recently I was contacted by a family history missionary in Thailand. He apparently has been going to local cemeteries, photographing and recording information on graves. He has collected information on about 1500 graves to date, and is now trying to figure out what to do with it. http://www.billiongraves.com comes to mind, because they offer free smartphone software to facilitate recording the data onsite, but I am not sure they can work with non-Roman writing systems like Thai and Chinese. If the Church has such a program (or would like to start one), that would be ideal.

If anyone has any good ideas, I would welcome them.

Thanks very much.

Elder Vic Walker
Taiwan Taichung Mission
davesudweeks

Re: Family Research Aid

Post by davesudweeks »

For what it's worth, a member in our ward (no, not me) documented all the information in a small American Indian cemetery near my home. When presented to the families of those buried there, they were very offended that this action was done without their permission.

I would advise caution in the, albeit well-meaning, publishing of such information without securing some permission (perhaps from whomever maintains the cemetary).

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”