Membership maps

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rhusted wrote:What is the name of the maps project that the Church is working on? What features / functionality will it provide? Is there a wiki page or anyplace where I can get additional information?
We're lucky if we know they're even working on a project, much less the details. :o
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:We're lucky if we know they're even working on a project, much less the details. :o
Yeah, it was only a 2 or 3 sentence statement by Church CIO, Joel Dehlin, somewhere on these forums.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

rhusted wrote:What is the name of the maps project that the Church is working on? What features / functionality will it provide? Is there a wiki page or anyplace where I can get additional information? Since we'll likely have to inform our well-intentioned members that they need to pull this information off Google, I'd like to give them some information about what the Church is doing and hopefully thus avoid any hurt feelings. :)

Only general information has been released. The most authoritative statement is probably this short statementby Joel Dehlin, the Church's CIO.

While I have high hopes for this project, it is inherently ambitious. All those problems with finding and fixing geocoding errors for a single unit are multiplied a thousandfold. So don't set expectations too high about all this being accomplished immediately.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

After reading all the posts on geocoding I am a little confused. Is it OK to use Google Earth to map the members homes? I have managed to do this but I hesitate to offer ti to anyone else in the ward...
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

zaneclark wrote:After reading all the posts on geocoding I am a little confused. Is it OK to use Google Earth to map the members homes? I have managed to do this but I hesitate to offer ti to anyone else in the ward...

It really depends on your tolerance for errors.

If you are using the batchgeocode.com method described in the other thread, I think there is a good chance your KML output would contain at least a few families mapped at incorrect locations, and would omit a few others. Or perhaps you will get lucky and have no errors at all.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

rhusted wrote:For what it's worth - I have 8 children. Today I saw a map that a very well intentioned member of our ward put online. It had my name, my wife's name, my children's names, and our address all listed in a public forum. Granted it's not readily available because the URL isn't publicly available - but it's still concerning. I'm very nervous about having that information available for other people to see - particularly if there is any potential for abuse. I don't want my kids to inadvertently be put in harm's way.

(The following is my personal opinion, not necessarily held by any sane person. :-)

I admire your restraint. If it were me, I would have already told the person who posted the information online the basic meaning of your last two sentences above and that I wanted the personal information about my wife and children taken down immediately, ...
rhusted wrote: ...
Since we'll likely have to inform our well-intentioned members that they need to pull this information off Google, I'd like to give them some information about what the Church is doing and hopefully thus avoid any hurt feelings. :)
... and I would let any hurt feelings be the problem of the person who posted the info. Again, I admire your restraint.

If you need backup to get the "well-intentioned" person to take the info down, I know of a police officer I used to home teach who now works in a high-tech crimes unit catching online predators. I'm sure he could convince the person to do the right thing.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

zaneclark wrote:After reading all the posts on geocoding I am a little confused. Is it OK to use Google Earth to map the members homes? I have managed to do this but I hesitate to offer ti to anyone else in the ward...
I interpreted your question to be more about policy, and as far as I know, Google Earth is not going to send an ounce of your ward's personal information over the net. As far as redistributing within your ward, my personal opinion is that it is okay, but I would keep close reigns on it and only give it to those who really need it and would actually benefit from it. I would also give them a charge to be very careful with the information as well, maybe even securing it by password-protection in one way or another.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:as far as I know, Google Earth is not going to send an ounce of your ward's personal information over the net.
I'm sure there is a way of uploading information via GE, so there's a way the info could get public. Hopefully no one is that dumb, but that one possibility keeps me from giving it a catagoric "It's safe".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm sure there is a way of uploading information via GE, so there's a way the info could get public. Hopefully no one is that dumb, but that one possibility keeps me from giving it a catagoric "It's safe".
Since our ward has been using Google Earth as a tool in our missionary work (we just implemented a new program that involves nine ward missionary couples in nine ward missionary districts) I have been keeping the enthusiasm to spread household information properly oriented - supported by discussion information I have garnered from these forums. After instructing our ward mission leader in the use of MLS export information, batchgeocode.com geocoding, and Google Earth tools, he became so excited that he was promoting the idea of uploading Google Earth KML files to Google Maps for better distribution of information throughout the ward and ward missionary couples. Of course once he and the others were informed of the dangers and conflicts with Church policies on use of exported MLS and LUWS membership information over the web they restrained from using Google Maps as part of our missionary tools as he had planned.

I had no idea Google Maps could import KML files. But after researching it I discovered that Google Maps cannot directly import a file from a PC, or Google Earth, but it can import a KML file from a web site. The work around described in the Google Maps forum is to host the KML file at a URL address and then use the search feature of Google Maps to find the KML file on the other web site. So I guess indirectly it can be done. And with as many people out there that are not aware of, or familiar with, the Church's policies on MLS and LUWS data there is a chance for personal information to be inappropriately, or inadvertently, disclosed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jdlessley wrote: I had no idea Google Maps could import KML files. But after researching it I discovered that Google Maps cannot directly import a file from a PC, or Google Earth, but it can import a KML file from a web site. The work around described in the Google Maps forum is to host the KML file at a URL address and then use the search feature of Google Maps to find the KML file on the other web site. So I guess indirectly it can be done. And with as many people out there that are not aware of, or familiar with, the Church's policies on MLS and LUWS data there is a chance for personal information to be inappropriately, or inadvertently, disclosed.

Actually, in addition to the hosted URL method you mention, the Google Maps web site this year added the capability to import a KML file directly from a user's PC. (There are some limitations.)

So members may be tempted to do this. However, I think that uploading name-and-address data to Google Maps clearly violates the policy guidance we have received from the Church. Uploading address-only data is probably okay, but that would not be very useful for a general ward directory.

We are using the Google Maps site in our ward for a particular purpose: generating printable maps of fast-offering routes, because Google Earth has lousy print functionality. (I expect to post about that application soon.) But we don't even upload addresses, just lat/lon coordinates. All the name-address data that accompanies the maps is assembled locally.

(BTW, for missionary purposes, we use a completely different method: A printed map of the ward using shrink-wrapped software, because the full-time missionaries generally lack Internet access. See details in this post.) I should think that ward missionaries would be able to use Google Earth directly.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”