My Husband name should be deleted

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Post Reply
LJArrigo
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:29 am

My Husband name should be deleted

#1

Post by LJArrigo »

Good Morning
On my profile for Lois Jane Arrigo
I am the only one living in this house. My husband passed away in 2001
Please remove his name
thank you
Sister Arrigo
User avatar
gregwanderson
Senior Member
Posts: 702
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: Huntsville, UT, USA

Re: My Husband name should be deleted

#2

Post by gregwanderson »

The best way to correct this is to talk to your own Bishop or Branch President. They can instruct the clerk to update the record and then this change will be reflected in your profile. To help them update the record, you may need to provide the date and location of your husband's death. But we, on this forum, are not able to update the record. It should be done by your local church leadership.
ronaldjlines
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: My Husband name should be deleted

#3

Post by ronaldjlines »

I am the assistant ward clerk over membership. We have a similar situation in our ward, where a sister's non-member husband is deceased. I have made the appropriate changes in MLS and everything looks fine. It shows her husband is deceased and she is now identified by her maiden name as she desires, however in this Ward Online Directory it is still showing that she is married and still shows her under her married name. Is there anyway I can get this corrected???
Please advise
Thank You
RJL
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31965
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: My Husband name should be deleted

#4

Post by russellhltn »

ronaldjlines wrote:It shows her husband is deceased
As a non-member and civilly married, her record shouldn't show anything about a husband.
ronaldjlines wrote:and she is now identified by her maiden name as she desires, however in this Ward Online Directory it is still showing that she is married and still shows her under her married name. Is there anyway I can get this corrected???
On her record, check the "Full Name", "Preferred Name" and under "Household Members" the "Name" field.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans
Senior Member
Posts: 1953
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:52 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: My Husband name should be deleted

#5

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:
ronaldjlines wrote:It shows her husband is deceased
As a non-member and civilly married, her record shouldn't show anything about a husband.
Why wouldn't a membership record show something about someone's civil marriage to a non-member? I understand that unbaptized children are a different issue, but it appears to me that the spouses name shows up. I just looked at a member's record online (clerk.lds.org) in my ward who has a non-member spouse and the non-member spouse's information shows up.
eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 3703
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: My Husband name should be deleted

#6

Post by eblood66 »

mevans wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
ronaldjlines wrote:It shows her husband is deceased
As a non-member and civilly married, her record shouldn't show anything about a husband.
Why wouldn't a membership record show something about someone's civil marriage to a non-member? I understand that unbaptized children are a different issue, but it appears to me that the spouses name shows up. I just looked at a member's record online (clerk.lds.org) in my ward who has a non-member spouse and the non-member spouse's information shows up.
A deceased non-member spouse should not show up on the person's record. When the non-member spouse dies the marriage should be terminated (due to death) and should no longer display.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31965
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: My Husband name should be deleted

#7

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Why wouldn't a membership record show something about someone's civil marriage to a non-member?
IIRC, the only time you'll see anything about a deceased spouse is if the couple has been sealed.

I guess she could have been sealed to him after his death. I didn't think about that angle. But then technically, he's no longer a non-member. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans
Senior Member
Posts: 1953
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:52 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: My Husband name should be deleted

#8

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:
mevans wrote:Why wouldn't a membership record show something about someone's civil marriage to a non-member?
IIRC, the only time you'll see anything about a deceased spouse is if the couple has been sealed.

I guess she could have been sealed to him after his death. I didn't think about that angle. But then technically, he's no longer a non-member. ;)
I thought you were referring to a living non-member spouse. Yes, if deceased, I would understand, although I'd think the church would keep this info stored somewhere for genealogy purposes.

So I assume the problem is that the husband was properly recorded as a non-member spouse when he was living; now that he's deceased, they can't get rid of his name on the online directory, even after recording the death?
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31965
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: My Husband name should be deleted

#9

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I thought you were referring to a living non-member spouse. Yes, if deceased, I would understand, although I'd think the church would keep this info stored somewhere for genealogy purposes.
Maybe. But it wouldn't be anywhere where the ward would see it.
mevans wrote:So I assume the problem is that the husband was properly recorded as a non-member spouse when he was living; now that he's deceased, they can't get rid of his name on the online directory, even after recording the death?
Correct. And that's where I said that there should be no sign of him on the wife's record. The person I was talking to (Post #3) said "It shows her husband is deceased" which raise a question in my mind if it really was correctly recorded.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Post Reply

Return to “Directory”